I've been told I'm not allowed to practise...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Jul 31, 2013.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    If you feel uncomfortable with the local Church option, try adding a few hymns to your practice routine.

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I too was not allowed to practice in the house when I was at home--I ended up sitting outside and practicing. Not a lot of fun doing it during the winter, in the snow especially after I had walked 5 miles to and from school uphill both ways in a foot of snow. Not really, but I did practice outside, when it was really cold I would go into the well house and later into an attached garage. Never had a practice mute and Silent Brass wasn't even a concept all those years ago. University practice rooms were heaven after that. After that--no where to practice. I would sit outside at work and practice--scales, arpeggios, lip slurs, tonguing exercises, songs and parts of songs remembered. Amazingly enough I found out that a lot of people enjoyed listening to me playing--even the scales and stuff. I've played in parking lots, parks, river banks, lake shores. Today I usually practice at home, as long as my wife isn't home and it's not too late, and I'm not too loud--one of the things about practicing in an attached garage and sneaking practice in in my bedroom was that I learned to play softly--a very underrated skill. Anyway, I'm in the man up and find a place to practice school. And as another one of those preacher guys--if you showed up at my church and asked for a place to practice I would welcome you. Sorry I don't live in the UK.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Are you a closet Yorkshireman?

--bumblebee

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Strains of the largo from The New World begin and. It were ard when I were a lad we only ad one cornet int village, we all ad to ave a share of it. And I used to ave to play while I were waiting for dad to come back from t' pit (pits remember what they were) before I could get into 't house to play then he said Bugger Off and play somewhere else so I ad to pack up and play at pit head.

5. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    For those of you not from Yorkshire, "pits" are coal mines or a colliery.
    They used to be popular in this country before a certain lady Prime Minister closed almost all of them all down.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ..... and created world class brass bands in the process.

7. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    True, the miners did have more time on their hands so their rehearsal time improved greatly.

...not all bad then.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OK, time for KINGTRUMPET to way in!!! --- Number 1: your an adult and (hopefully) so are your parents, so rational, intelligent, calm talking about your trumpet playing, the future, and perhaps a compromise (who knows maybe your Dad would help build a soundproof room for you/and eventually your brother to use). Number 2: I would also consider other venues to practice in (a friend's house, at work afterhours, churches, local school) -- and maybe you could EXCHANGE services. (ie. clean the friends house, tidy up the school yard, or vacuum the church floors, etc.) -- that goes in to (where there's a will there's a way to find a place to practice). ------------
    FINALLY, a little personal testimony of mine!!! -- when I was young, my Dad let me practice upstairs (there was a shutdown time of 9PM), but all in all when my schoolwork, and my "household chores" were done, I could play upstairs. -- This was primarily the result of ME as a young teenager (13 ish) telling my Dad that I wanted to play the trumpet, it was a DREAM!!!!, no matter if I couldn't play NOW, someday in the future -- DREAMS WOULD COME TRUE!!!! with enough hard work, and enough practice. Fast forward to several years ago (when I was 46 ish) - in a community band, on a comeback to the trumpet after 10 years of quitting -- and played a couple of songs for my aging parents!!!! ----- FINALLY MY DAD (not a music person) exclaimed - "YOU know what son, those first 8 or 10 years that you played the trumpet in High School you were - TERRIBLE!! - I let you play because you had that love for the trumpet, it was your DREAM, then you played for a decade or so in Church, and I "thought", that's my son, he is starting to sound good -- NOW you just played those 2 songs for me, and I got to FINALLY tell you - YOU ARE A TRUMPET PLAYER, that was the most beautiful playing I have heard from anyone -- you made it!!!"" --------------------------------------- so trumpetplayer24, this is a TRUE story, I always KNEW my Dad was proud of me, but just HEARING those words makes a difference, and I HOPE that it doesn't take your Dad 30+ years to figure out, if you have a DREAM, YOU WILL SUCCEDE - his support will make the difference in your life and your trumpet playing ------should that be part of your ADULT CONVERSATION??? ---- absolutely!!!! have a great day!!! ken

9. Avan

Avan New Friend

Mar 9, 2012
    I use the Silent Brass system five days a week for a 1-1/2hr lunch at work so not to disturb others in the office working. All in my truck ..............

The ear phones are terrible, so I use the phones that came with my iPhone which works just fine..............

Also I learned a few weeks ago that if you have a Harmon mute you can stick a Wine Cork in it and it makes a very nice Silent System also .....................

Just some thoughts, and I hope all your Trumpet Dreams come true ......................

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Amen! Recently my getting involved in providing multi-brass CDs of hymns from the hymnals for distribution to rural churches that lack competent accompaniment for choir or congregational singing, I've found about as much enjoyment as playing anything else. Too, it gives me access to a room and often the sanctuary if I needed somewhere to practice. Christian songs are among the three major genres of music locally vis, country, gospel, and bluegrass, and I've put them in sequence of what I believe is their local popularity. I can only say some of these hymns from the hymnals are stodgily old and lack all the dynamics of contemporary praise music, and yet they cover much of the musical elements ... certainly minus the ALTISSIMO range.