I've been told I'm not allowed to practise...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Jul 31, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My name's not Shirley.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Nor Mine.

3. JAGisDope

JAGisDope New Friend

Jul 20, 2013
    I am a "night owl" so a lot of my interests are pursued at night, from 11pm to 3am. The trumpet is one of my interests, but because of the volume I can't practice this late at home. My solution, I practice at a shopping center that is not too far from where I live. I play as loud, and as long as I want. Other places I have practiced are at the bike trail adjacent to the river bed, and at several industrial areas.
    During the day, if I am at home, I practice with complete disregard to everyone around me. If I am out, I go to the bike trail and station myself under the overpass, I enjoy the acoustics. I always go early to work, so I practice in my car until its my time to clock in.
    If I was experienced, and I had confidence, even if only a little, I'd be practicing everywhere and at all times.

4. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    Hi,

Check out your local school as well. Most schools in the UK are open after hours for other things - i.e. clubs, football matches and the facilities can be hired out (councils love this as it's an extra income stream). There are 3 schools local to me that do this -they also hire out classrooms in the evening for as little as £5 for 2 hours. I use them for teaching from - it also gives people a safe, secure place to go as well where people don't mind loads of noise! Most of them are open until 10pm as well. It's well worth asking about. Failing that, most rehearsals studios have a small room that you can hire for about the same price - bear in mind to tell them that you're not looking for a studio with full backline and PA setup!

Good luck! :-)

5. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Trumpetplayer 24 - just wondering how you are getting on with this problem of yours.

Have you managed to sort out somewhere to practice?

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Perhaps you might tell us where in the UK you are so we could give you localized assistance?

7. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    My advice is to get the Yamaha Silent Brass and work out a deal with your parents to use it during the week if they let you practice without it on the weekends. I have a YSB and find it works well if you set the volume just right.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    You need one of these ....

o1.jpg

Turtle

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    How about an update. Any changes with the shed... now that you have been in it for over a year? Anything you would have added in it's design? Any thing or materials you wish you have not used? Please SHED some light on this subject.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah, he had to put in a dehumidifier so the corks on his sax wouldn't swell up and put it back into tune!! -- and of course, the geese no longer fly over the shed --- because he plays the sax, and the geese are honkers, not easily saxified by woodwinds!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ((trumpetplayer24 -- please work out a solution to play the trumpet, otherwise you will end up playing the saxophone, and nobody wants that for you!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL))