I've been told I'm not allowed to practise...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    ... and toss away the ear buds that come with it and get yourself a decent pair of earphones.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

The Turtle Shed is doing well, no major changes ..... except that, here in Southern Oregon, our valley has been filled with smoke from fires in the National Forest for the last two weeks. The air quality is hazardous, it's hard enough to breathe, and I can't play anywhere there isn't some air conditioning and filtration from the smoke. I'm really feeling the OP's pain, and scrambling around for places to practice my sax. My best solution so far is playing in the house, into a closet full of clothes. Mutes don't work with saxes, or at least not cheaply or easily.

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sure glad I live in the Miami Valley where I just inhale Formica.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    The Turtle lives :thumbsup:.

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Nice to hear from you Jim! I used to do the same thing when my kids were small - go in the closet and play with the bell just touching a
    rack of clothes.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ever think of going into the laundry business? I have heard of ultrasound and dry cleaning, but vibrating clothing with the horn. I think you may be on to something... or on something! Not sure which.:dontknow:

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Those "closet practice sessions" were not fun times. I wasn't in any bands for 15 years as I knew that trumpet is an addiction that consumes a lot
    of time and energy. I got back into serious playing in 2001 and by 2006 was active in 4 well known groups.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    4 well known groups it is ---- I have probably watched you on a YOUTUBE video at some point!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey! Maestro Ted! Yes, the Turtle lives and continues to play. How goes it down under???

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hello Greg! How goes it? I still have that amazing Carol Brass trumpet you sent my way ...

The whole playing into the rack of clothes thing works a treat, but I may not need it anymore after this storm that's brewing. RAIN! ..... my humble kingdom for a few drops of rain!

Turtle