I've been told I'm not allowed to practise...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Jul 31, 2013.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hey Turtle - lovely to hear from you and I trust you are well? Things here in Oz are peachy - it's always great DownUnder especially as I'm forbidden to talk politics here on TM

2. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Ahh, yes. Carefree youth. A time of discovery and awakening. I recall fondly my first furtive gropings with my horn in the closet, often accompanied by my equally curious schoolmates. How exciting to practice our embouchures together, testing the strength of our lips while grasping our horns in our trembling hands...........wait..........are we talking about music???

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Uh,.. we are! :D

4. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Oh...

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and the OP seems to have disappeared --- so I am thinking: A.) she didn't like all the advice you blokes were giving OR B.) Her Dad checked her computer and her voice of objection to his "no practicing rule", and now she can't have computer time either OR C.) you blokes sent her scurrying around town trying to find a place to practice, and she no longer has any time to check in at TM. OR D.) she is waiting to see how this all works out so she can play the trumpet and succeed!!!!!!

6. Trumpetplayer24

Trumpetplayer24 Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    At the moment I am still practicing at home but mostly with my Wallace practice mute in which I don't think is doing my lips any favours as it is making me blow with much more force. I try to practice when my dad is out of the house but this isn't very often so my practice time has been greatly reduced which I am not happy about.

7. Trumpetplayer24

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    My teacher is going to let me try out his Silent brass so I can try before I buy, but I think it is going to be the best option for me.

8. Trumpetplayer24

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    D :) Going to try out my teacher's silent brass system before I buy. Currently practising mostly with my wallace practice mute which I am not enjoying but am playing open when I can.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    hopefully that will be the solution that everyone can live with. Actually, I wouldn't worry about the Wallace mute, although not enjoyable, if done correctly should NOT affect your lip -- might actually help out with air. Air is one thing you always need more of -- I think there are a couple of threads on here, that mention the benefits of air control and practicing with a mute. --

here's one:

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/does-anyone-actually-practice-mute-purpose-71446.html

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Actually, I did make a few small changes to the inside recently. Here's what the Turtle Shed looked like on the inside before I put up Auralex acoustical treatment panels ....

[​IMG]

The Turtle