I've finally figured out why Ebay Sellers have mile long disclaimers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Osren, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    I recently sold an Olds Ambassador with case and mouthpiece on Ebay. I listed it as working and in good playable condition, gave it's serial number, threw up a handful of nice view-able pictures and started it out at $1 with a 14 day return policy (buyer responsible for shipping), as-is, and contact me if you have ANY questions.

I've been experimenting with ebay auctions... I've learned sometime TOO much of a description seems to cripple a sale. People seem to WANT a little mystery when they buy. I don't understand this, but I've seen it time and time again. So this time out I kept is short and sweet.

I put the shipping rate at a flat $30. I don't usually have box dimensions and weight prepared before an ebay sale, so I try to figure out all my costs associated with the box and packing materials, then I assume it will be going to the other side of the USA (I've been burned on this before too, when I loose money in shipping) - but either way, I put out $30 as the cost of shipping for this particular trumpet.

A guy wins it, I ship it.

He receives the trumpet and starts to complain to me about some bad soldering done on the braces and that if he is going to keep it he wants $30 refunded to him. I double checked my pictures and sure enough I DID NOT include one of the braces (stupid me!). I felt $30 was a bit high to refund, so I retorted with "how about $25 off".

He replies the next day by basically ripping me a new one in the following manner
    1) he said he was a long term ebayer and KNEW that ebay would stand behind him as I misrepresented the trumpet and I would loose all money including shipping costs if he challenged the sale
    2) he complained that it ONLY cost me $20 to ship the trumpet to him and that I OVERCHARGED in shipping, thus ripping him off
    3) he complained that the case it was in was "garbage" and would need to be thrown away (it was actually in decent shape, I have MUCH worse and it protected the trumpet JUST fine)
    4) he tells me I'm just flipping trumpets and trying to make money (since I have sold 4 other trumpets in the last month on my user feedback)
    5) he tells me that he absolutely will not take less then $30 refunded back to him.

I sat back and wanted to reply back and "rip him a new one" :evil:, but I calmed down and decided that I just wanted to make this problem go away. Sad thing is, if he would have just replied "I don't think $25 is enough, I really think $30 is fair", I would have said ok and been done with it.
    So I refunded the $30 and replied to him, "I have refunded the $30, I hope this makes everything ok"

Then I get to thinking about it... and I look up the buyers REAL NAME on google. I learn that he is a guy that buys, refinished, and resells trumpets on Ebay all the time! He buys under ONE ebay name and sells under another. Then I began to wonder, "Does he challenge ALL the trumpets he buys on Ebay? Strong arming and threatening his sellers to LOWER the agreed upon price so he can save a few bucks." :thumbdown:

I don't know, but now I see why some sellers include 5 paragraphs of disclaimers and warnings on each of their ebay auctions. :-(

In retrospect, I probably should have pushed the issue and made him send it back to me under the 14 day return policy, but I felt bad that I didn't specifically show pictures of the soldering job. I've purchased many trumpets over the years and I've always felt that so long as the trumpet isn't damaged in shipment, then I (as the buyer) am the one responsible for NOT asking about trumpet, especially if they have put in a vague description.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Who is it? :D

3. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I think I know. Same thing happened to me a year ago with a cornet I sold him. Kept trying to chisel me down over really trifling, insignificant bullsh*t But he did NOT want to return it when after his bullsh*t I demanded he return it.....

4. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Amazing. Just amazing. Sorry for your woes.

I sold a horn recently that wasn't in the greatest shape, and without a second thought, I listed it "For parts or restoration" to avoid exactly what you described!

5. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Did you get it back? Or did he contest?

6. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    Since I refunded the $30 I have NOT heard a thing from him. So I assume everything is OK with him.

7. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    I'm not sure I feel right dragging someone's name in the mud - even if it is warranted.

I could see him posting about me somewhere... "yea this dumb-butt sold me a trumpet with some poorly soldered braces and tried to screw ME out of money..."

8. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    This is instructive. He backed off, claimed he didn't want to start anything and loved the horn. But he backed off only after I called him out on his sh*t.
    What tipped me off, the horn was 100 years old but had new plating and NEW Anderson VALVES!!! But he had to find something wrong just to give himself that edge, some people arent happy unless they're screwing you.
    Simply to take advantage of somebody so he could maximize his profit when he flipped it....which he did 2 months later.
    Let's say being a Landlord has equipped me with a fairly decent bullsh*t detector.

9. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Soren,

I feel your pain brother. I've had some incidents on ebay like that myself, but never was I told off buy buyer or seller. I honestly resort to ebay as a last resort only to avoid all that hassle.

10. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    I really want to know who the guy is????? This is like a movie without the ending. Instead, the director comes out and explains the ending.