I've finally figured out why Ebay Sellers have mile long disclaimers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Osren, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    BTW - Shipping includes Handling. That is the purchase of packing, the time to arrange or deliver the goods to Post, time and petrol, busfare etc.
    S&H is more than just Postal cost IMO. So if this guy had a go at the shipping cost of 20 vs 30, I would have just stated that is the Handling cost of your time and materials.

And a learning point, always declare all faults with any horn for sale, and try to photograph the item correctly.

Thanks for the heads up on the guy.

2. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    guess you can't argue with that... except I don't think the FEDs will allow me to write it off on my taxes -- more people screwing me out of money! (LOL) ;)

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    DON'T DO THIS! IRS will be all over your returns (for years) looking for the nit-pickins. Tuition exemptions are only allowed when enrolled in an accredited course of instruction.

4. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE

5. TerryR

TerryR Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2012
    Quakertown PA
    First: I didn't realize that it was possible to renegotiate

Second: Where were you when I was buying all my horribly beat up Ambassadors?

If only I had found one in the same shape as the one you sold...oh well.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The more horns you sell the less this experience will mean to you.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Struck a deal of a trade recently with a TM member on this thread and we're both happy, which didn't contain any brass, but I had to expend 32 miles, and pay nearly $15.00 at UPS for the box I sent the item I traded to him. Then it was just under the wire on dimensions to be sent via parcel post at USPS and just so I could get tracking I added $100.00 of insurance.
    Yes, there is also labor time in packing to consider, plus materials, the latter I save and re-use as often as I can. I know I've one corrugated box that has been used 8 times and will eventually and probably will be used again.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Bubble wrap, boxes, styrofoam peanuts ... in the shed .. all saved because "you never know when you are going to need them"

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    While purchasing stuff here in Oz is usually expensive, our strict quarantine laws allow me to insist that new materials be used for any packaging. That usually means that the vendor has an opportunity to assess the options when he/she searches out acceptable containers.

The only problem I've had with eBay purchases, was with a set of golf clubs I bought for my kids. These clubs arrived at work - I have know idea how that address got into eBay BTW because I usually use a mate's PO Box - and the shipping box was knackered and completely open to the elements, the tape held the whole bundle loosley together. The saving grace was the big rubber band the vendor had placed around the clubs to stop them rattling in transit. Well done vendor. Yes the packaging was a bit sub-standard but the post office/shipping organisation had a lot to answer for too. I had no evidence so I couldn't point the finger. The container was completely stuffed, it was delivered to the wrong address, it gave me some grief with the company mail supervisior for a while, but the golf clubs were undamaged and as ordered. I intended to chuck the box away anyhow - so, in hindsight - all positive really.