I've Found The Answer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by erd402, Dec 18, 2010.

1. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    So I was cleaning the bathrooms at work today (this is where I do most of my deep thinking) when I realized the answer to a question I've had for a long time. I usually play exponentially better during practice at home than I do at school or at my lessons. So as I was scrubbing toilets and sinks (there is another part of the story dealing with the girls bathroom, but thats for a different day), I realized that the problem was my reason for playing. My schedule is pretty hectic so getting into a daily routine isn't possible, so I pretty much just practice whenever I can. If I have nothing going on all day, its not unusual for me to practice for 4-6 hours off and on in a day. Somedays, like today and yesterday, I'm lucky to get in 30 minutes of practice. I practice not because I'm forced to by my parents like some people I know, I do it because I enjoy it. I've recently started playing nothing but low C's as soft and long as I can for about 15 - 20 minutes each morning and as boring as some people make it out to be, I think nothing of it. When I go to school though my whole mindset changes from enjoyment to focused on learning. I don't remember where I was going with this, but the whole point is, make sure you don't forget the joy in music. Discipline and structure are important, but what is the point of doing something you hate?

2. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    :play::thumbsup::play:

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Do what you love and do it well. Do everything else well too.

Good luck!

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Points to the necessity of learning to love what you do...

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    A famous trumpet player was asked for advice by a young student....what was his reply?

"Have fun!". Who was the trumpet player? Maynard Ferguson.

6. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    Being part of groups that play can be important. Over the years most people go through some sort of bad spot or spot where they are just not themselves. Having players that pull you back into the herd can keep you on track. Another thing that can build you up is having good books of solos to blast through. Some days scales and formal practice are just not something that holds one's attention well. Play solos for two hours and you will probably have more gain than you would ever expect and enjoy the tunes as well.

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Hey... I clean bathrooms too! Luckily I can practice where I work so I make it a point to play first, work later. It gives me a reason to get up and go to work early in the morning. The nice thing is that I dont have to practice in the can, We have a large sanctuary with great acoustics. Sounds like you have a great attitude and are not stressing out but having fun with trumpet playing. Best wishes.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am not sure that I understand the problem. Basically we sign our name to everything that we do. Things that we think we hate are often only an excuse for lazy. Hate is a terrible state and should only be reserved for the most heinous of things.

If you turn that mode of learning into the mode of you improving yourself, then you have a reason to excel instead of a reason for an excuse. At the end of the day, employers are looking for employees that can run also in difficult situations. We learn that by starting today!

9. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    I agree that loving what you do is important. All I was saying is that for players involved for many years or decades will have times when nothing is enjoyable. Life does that. Nature can be cruel. That is why we have lost so many great musicians to drugs and alcohol. If you have good players that you work with all the time and your ship springs a leak they can drag you from the depths and keep you up and playing strong. Artists may feel that they are in the trade by themselves but that is a mistake. Surround yourself with good people who play well and you've won half the battle.

10. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Why is it that of all of the sub-cultures I've been exposed to, it is musicians who have a propensity to get involved with drugs and alcohol, even to the point of self destruction?