I've got to share this!

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by johnwilliam, Jan 19, 2010.

1. johnwilliam

johnwilliam New Friend

Dec 6, 2009
    My wife and co-workers just don't understand how great my latest finds are.

Over the weekend I stopped at an antique shop. They had a Besson 609 and a Conn Director cornet. I inquired about a price, negotiated a little, and got both for $45 plus tax.

The Besson has evidently seen some use. The laquer is spotty, there are several good dings, and some bell damage has been marginally repaired. From five feet away though, it looks pretty good! I haven't cleaned it yet but it plays surprisingly well!

The Conn has one small ding and normal laquer wear. Other than that it's in good shape. The Conn-Selmer sight dates it as a 1964. I've cleaned it and it plays well. It's definately a heavy horn but it's really well built. I'm amazed at how good the valve compression is.

I've been looking for a cornet, and while this isn't what I had in mind, I couldn't pass it up.

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    You can always donate them and take a write-off.

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Seems like good finds to me! My 609 cost $41 plus shipping from ebay, and while not perfect, plays really well for me in the situations I play in. Like Ed said, you can donate to your local elementary school program, as I have done so, or you may know some people that have a child starting out in band. Of course they could grow on you and you could enjoy playing your finds.:thumbsup:

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The images that conjures up......oh my!

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I bought some cornets similarly, including a Conn Director. I still have them and play them. You can't beat the price so just enjoy them.