I've hit a wall at C above the staff...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mercedes, Dec 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. mercedes

mercedes New Friend

Dec 3, 2008
    Florida
    I've been trying to play pp and without pressure like Rowuk suggested...it is helping, but I will just have to be patient (NOT EASY!). This time around, I want to improve my technique and become an even better player than I was in school. After reading the posts on here, I'm finding out how much I wasn't 'taught' in school...

So...will you clarify what you mean by lip trills? (I've been taking voice lessons for a few months and we do lip trills to warm up...like rolling a Spanish ‘rrrr’ sound)

As for vibrato, I wasn't taught how to do it with just my lips, but rather by slightly shaking my fingers to produce the vibrations. (In voice I have been learning how to breathe properly and have just begun to produce a bit of vibrato from my diaphragm…not my throat) So how do you produce vibrato without moving the trumpet with your fingers?

I saw a few tutorials on YouTube regarding lip bends, and I think I’m doing those correctly.

Thanks for your advice…

2. mercedes

mercedes New Friend

Dec 3, 2008
    Florida
    I've been playing pp, without pressure, like you suggested and it is helping. I am just so excited/happy to be playing again (and remembering what I used to sound like) that I was rather impatient to get back there and go beyond. In school endurance, range and power were emphasized during marching season and I have to admit, I loved being ‘heard’ amongst the crowd. Now however, after reading the posts on here, I'm finding out how much I wasn't exposed to in school... And I'm expanding my musical tastes.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

3. scottlashbrook

scottlashbrook New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    London UK
    I have to partly agree with Al Inella, but I also appreciate that what Rowuk saying is correct and sensible advice. I have a strong double A all night long, and a double C when it's needed, which lets be honest is really not that often. It took me 20 years to get there and get it secure, and get paid for it. More air is absolutely wrong, faster air is what is required. The long tones, pedal tones and slur exercises are needed to build the strength in your chops the correct way, without a strong foundation your range will never improve, but........ some players will need a chop doc to assist in the quest for 'they holy grail' or should that be 'ridiculous obsession' find a good lead player that you respect and take some lessons.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Mercedes, Here's what I know that works for me. First, I see a real coorelation between whistling and playing the range of the trumpet. The coorelation being the placement of the tongue. When I was in high school I played the MF solo parts in stage band and used alot of pressure. It sounded great and wowed the audience. The problem was that my lip suffered from all the pressure and my lower range(where about 95% of the trumpet is played) just sucked. I then began on working on using less pressure, and learning to control my air. A couple of real good articles were written by Vince DiMartino and Pops Clinton on this topic. However, you want it ready for the reunion, right? Well, there's a mouthpiece called an asymmetric that can let you scream till the cows come home. I bought one and was amazed how effortless it was. My problem with it was I couldn't figure out how to adapt the mouthpiece to the other lower registers(a weakness on my part, not the mouthpiece).
    An Assymetric mouthpiece could be the saturday night special that can shoot down the boys in the band. Now remember, this is what works for me. Trust but verify.
    As far as boys having better chops than girls? It's stereotyping. girls are known for playing flute, clarinet, and I think socially, they are headed in that direction. My daughter started tooting the trumpet at around 3 years old and now at the age of 5 can play a couple of scales and some songs. It will not be a happy day when some cheese eating band director says to me and my wife " We could really use your daughter on clarinet" Girls are every bit as good as boys and that kind of societal thinking will only be true if you believe it. Now go kick some boys butts!!!!

5. thebugleboy

thebugleboy Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2008
    Deep South
    Mercedes, the trill you speak of in your voice classes, I believe you are doing with your tongue. The lip trill mentioned here is, oversimplified, sort of a quick slur back and forth and back and forth within the same valve position. Very popular with the old jazz men I played with years ago. We used to use it a lot to hide tired embouchures too. lol