Jack - Looking for low-resistance trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Japle, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Japle

Japle Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2003
    Cape Canaveral
    I have a KTR700 and a 1500S that's been throughly tweaked at the factory. The 1500 is a wonderful horn in all ways, except for the resistance. I'm a former bass 'bone player and I feel more comfortable on a low-resistance horn like the KTR700.
    That 700 is a better trumpet than any Strad or other "pro" horn I've played with the exception of a 45 year old Calicchio. Still, I like the features of the 1500.
    What Kanstul pro horn has the lowest resistance and is suitable for classical and jazz (not lead) playing?
    BTW, I'm playing Kanstul M-B4S and B4L MPs with #16 throats and Prana backbores.

John
    http://home.cfl.rr.com/themuterack/
    Cape Canaveral

2. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Check out the Kanstul Chicago 1070! This large bore Vintage Benge (better, cause' of the valves!) plays like the old Claude Gordon Benge, but has a much better scale. The CG Benge had some pitch problems that Zig's trumpet's don't have. Ask Jack about it, I'm sure he has one in his show room.

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi,

I'm actually an ex-Tuba player so I also like a biggish blow!! I have the Chicago MLP (464) which is nice and open, actually there isn't a lot of difference between that and the Taylor (which is 470) but because of the weight feels tighter. As Dave said the larger bore 1070 may be right up your alley if you like 'em big.

Regards

Trevor

4. Japle

Japle Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2003
    Cape Canaveral
    You guys may be right. I'll have to get my hands on a 1070.
    Yesterday (Sunday) afternoon I played a community band concert. I had 5 or 6 solos and loved the sound I was getting. The horn was my backup horn, a Kanstul KTR700 (so-called student grade) with a Kanstul clone of the Monette B4S mouthpiece. I can't understand how Zig can sell this horn for such a low price. I've never played a Strad I liked as much. The only thing I miss is a stop on the 1st valve tuning slide.

5. Japle

Japle Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2003
    Cape Canaveral
    Jack Kanstul,
    Are you out there? Care to chime in on this?

6. Leslie Colonello

Leslie Colonello Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2016
    I'm not much of a gear head as I have little knowledge of millimeters and back bore tapers but I know what feels open and free blowing. Test a Schilke B1.

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    There are many free blowing horns out there. But that's not the only thing to look for. Slotting, intonation, sound, feedback...and yes, price. I wouldn't go uniquely for Kanstul, though he makes fine horns, no question.

8. jdltrumpet

jdltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2016
    Bach Strad ML43

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Ahh - we could have waited 10 days, to kick off the New Year with a 13 year old Zombie Thread...

I do think we have had on older thread resurrected this year. No medals for this one!