Jacksonville, FL

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Soarlips, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Soarlips

Soarlips New Friend

Nov 24, 2004
    Colorado Springs
    Off there on business. Any cool horn stores? Any great Jazz venues?
    Thanks for the scoop.
    KP

2. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2005
    Gotta be honest here. That town sucks. Not much to do. No cool horn stores. You may find some jazz like you are looking for. But I would go to the beach and leave it at that. Downtown blows. Sorry. It looks like they recruit for Jerry Springer there.

HD

3. Gilligan

Gilligan Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2004
    Colorado Springs, USA

Gotta second that opinion here. No good trumpet stores in this town. The jazz here is spotty at best. Our best repairman is out Beach Blvd. just past the Alhambra Dinner Theater on the North side and he's a sax player. :shock: But if you are in town I'd recommend eating out at Joe's Crab Shack. Head straight east on Beach Blvd. Joe's is on the right just before you end up in the water and right across from the Red Cross life guard building . The best Coconut Shrimp I've had on the east coast and really reasonable on their prices too.

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    No offense meant, but wait a minute, you don't eat shrimp at Joe's Crab Shack when in Jax. Go out Hechsher Drive or Atlantic Blvd. and look for a locally owned shrimp and fish place. Jax is the epicenter of good fried shrimp, oysters and Atlantic fish. Don't ruin it by eating at a chain.

I grew up on Dames Point and go back a couple of times per year. If you don't like walking on the beach, fishing, shrimping and playing/watching football, there's not much to do there. I'll admit that.

Where you from, boy? Surely you ain't a Jax native. (Just pullin' your chain Gilligan. Everyone's entitled to their own taste).

Dave

5. Gilligan

Gilligan Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2004
    Colorado Springs, USA
    You right I'm not form around here. Landed here right after 9/11. Was actually working in Parker, CO back in the late 80's. Have a ton of family down in Colorado Springs. My nephew out there just started trumpet back in November with an old Reynolds I sent him for his Birthday. Know of any good instructors for young people down there?

6. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    All right brother, we switched places.

Mark Hamellev is a great player, instructor and brass repairman that just moved to The Springs. He was with The Brass Bow and moved to CO when Wayne Tanabe bailed for Yamaha. I take all my work down to Mark now. I know he takes young students because I've sat in his "studio" while he worked on my horns. Here's his email: [email protected] Tell him Dave Stephens sent you, so I can keep adding brownie points to my file.

Dave