WTS: Jaeger trumpet

Discussion in 'Bb Trumpets' started by ChopsGone, Oct 21, 2015.

1. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    This should probably be considered as NOS (new old stock). A few years back, one shipment of horns Ivan Hunter received had adjustable, rather than the specified fixed, third slide rings. They were discounted; I believe more than once. *See note below.I ran across someone with multiple listings for them on eBay, and the seller's lack of a reserve price resulted in my getting a new Jaeger horn for a very low price. I bought it primarily with the thought that one of my granddaughter's section mates might need an upgrade, but with her relocation to another state, that need never arose. When I received the horn, I lubricated it and gave it a very quick two-octave test, pronounced it good, and put it back in its original packing. Other than occasionally refreshing the oil, that's all the use it's seen. Well, granddaughter's in college now, after taking first chair trumpet in her All State Band (good horns do pay off), so I doubt she'll ever nominate someone to get this horn. It's as it came to me: in a Gator case with oil, Ivan's booklets, and what appears to be a generic "USA" 7C mouthpiece. As far as flaws go, all I've noticed is a spot or so of discoloration on the brass barrels atop the pistons. Since I bought this with the idea of helping a deserving student step up to a much better horn, that's what I'd like to do. So if you know of such a student, tell me about them, and tell me what you would be willing to pay to have this horn delivered to them with a gift card from you. I won't necessarily sell to the highest bidder; I got this horn so cheaply that I'll probably cover my costs or even make a bit of money inadvertently. And I won't necessarily accept your full offered amount. What I'm looking for is a very deserving, fairly talented, but financially constrained student, at least late middle school or high school. (I've given away several horns to deserving students, as well as to a couple of schools - I'm looking for someone who wants to do the same thing.) I'll let this stew for one week: when I check in on the morning of October 28, I'll decide who gets it. You'll send me the gift card to be included, and I'll ship directly to the student - if I wanted to sell this to an adult, I'd just head for eBay. Please, PM's only - let's not drag the kids through the public forum.

Don't misunderstand: I don't mean to imply that this is a student trumpet. If you know the brand, you know they're much better than that. I just want to see someone deserving get the benefit of the bargain price I paid. It doesn't have to be a child; if you know a deserving geezer who plays well but really needs to upgrade his horn, let's discuss.

I've received clarification on this horn from Ivan:
    FYI this Jaeger trumpet is not one of the instruments discounted due to an assembly error. It is an earlier model, all of which were supplied with adjustable 3rd rings. This version which you have was initially supplied at a loss to a rental company in order to check out how the instruments would survive to being beaten up by youngsters. The factory error models were made later than this and have the revised lead pipe and bell which we currently use.

TM has at least one generous member. We have a winner. Photos have been removed.

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I agree with ChopsGone, these are a very good horn. The 3rd slide adjustor is actually a good idea for a younger person who then does not have to stretch their left hand fingers. The slide has a much better range of adjustment. The ability to add a Music Lyre for a Marching Band/Brass band is actually beneficial in some settings.

These are a very good horn, and well worth a look. They play well in any setting.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Still a little foggy; haven't had my first espresso yet so I need a quick clarification. The OP is not asking for nominations of a deserving kid to whom the OP would send this horn, he wants you to buy it from him, is that right?

4. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Right - I'll give the donor a very special price, about what I paid plus my cost to ship it. And I'll send it to the recipient. I'd like it to be a gift from whoever buys it from me - as long as they have a very deserving candidate. But to be sure that it goes to the person nominated and not to someone just looking for a bargain for themselves, I'll do the shipping. If this turns out to be too much rigamarole, I'll just throw it on eBay and try to make some money out of it.

The nine horns I listed today are just a fraction of what I plan to sell. My preliminary list is four times that much, and that's just scratching the surface. I'm expecting to bring the number close to 100 eventually, but it takes time to set up, photograph, upload, list. I figure I can afford to be generous with this one - but not so generous that I'll just donate it to someone I don't know or who isn't suggested by someone I trust.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  5. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    do what? :stars:

6. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    I'm pretty sure he means, you buy the horn and get a deal. But only if you're giving the horn to a financially strained family with an aspiring trumpeter.

7. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    I'm an aspiring trumpeter and... I have strained the ears of my family :shock:

8. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Let's assume I bought that horn for $1 and it would cost me $1 more to ship it to you - ridiculous figures, just so you know we're talking hypothetically here. If you have the most deserving candidate and offer me $2 or more for the horn, I'll ship it to your candidate. If you're a chickenbleep selfish person and want to get $100 for it from the recipient, saying that you could get them a great deal on a horn, I'd have no way of knowing the source of your funds. But if I wanted to just sell the horn to you, I'd nail you for every last dime I could get out of you, unless you were a friend.

Does that simplify things? If not, WGARA. All this nonsense will end on 10/28, and if it gets any more absurd in the meantime, a lot sooner than that. It shouldn't be hard to come up with a deserving candidate, but I no longer have a family member volunteering in the local schools, so I'm out of touch. We're not necessarily talking about charity cases, just a kid or senior who deserves a better horn than they can justify buying at the moment. Think military families, single parents, schoolteachers - lots of good people have kids who deserve a bit more than they're in a position to give just now.

PLEASE NOTE: The description of the horn has been updated with information received from Ivan Hunter, the man behind the Jaeger instruments.

bumblebee likes this.
  9. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    Jaegers are great horns. Someone would be very lucky to receive one. If I knew such a student, I'd be thrilled to donate one.

10. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I've had a devil of a time trying to determine a value for this horn. It should go without saying that Ivan has never made a bad Jaeger trumpet; he has, however, continually improved the line over the years. I now know that this was part of an early production run designed to test the horn's ability to survive student abuse. Some of those were sold at a loss to a rental outfit, others were sold to the public. The rentals were reportedly sold in molded plastic cases, while some others were in Gator cases, like this one. OK, so it's an early model, without all the evolutionary improvements made in the years since it was created. Exactly when it was made is something I don't know. It has to be 1999 or later, obviously. You can call it a Jaeger - Diamond (the receiver is marked "Diamond"), a Jaeger New York (per the valve casing), or whatever you wish - I don't have any reason to believe the name differences in popular use have much basis in reality. Another listing here for a similar horn might help put this one in perspective. That one is used, with one minor ding, apparently in excellent condition, without case, and has an asking price of $950. It is described as being six years old, and has received the upgraded receiver found on current models. The waterkeys have been changed for Lee's. All in all, it looks like a great horn, and since I know nothing of the market for used Jaegers, I'd assume it's a good price. If you want the horn for yourself, I'd encourage you to give serious consideration to that listing. Mine has a serial number exactly 10 higher (newer) than the other horn, is new old stock, comes in a Gator case with mouthpiece, oil, and one of Ivan's booklets. It has received no upgrades, has no dings, has not been played other than in brief testing. Presumably the horns are otherwise identical where leadpipe, tuning slide, and other matters are concerned - at least as far as I know. In other words, I suspect the two horns were originally pretty much identical. Here's the deal: I got mine for a price so low you probably wouldn't believe it. I would prefer that it go to a deserving student or senior. But if it's still sitting here awaiting offers tomorrow morning, it's gone and heading for the 'bay, no holds barred.