"Jake"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Harold Zinno, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Harold Zinno

Harold Zinno Pianissimo User

Jul 17, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hello, any former students of Jake reading these forums? I studied with him in 76-78. Just thought we would reminisce.

Thanks
    Harold

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  2. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Do you mean Arnold Jacobs or Don Jacoby? There are individuals here who studied with both of them. I didn't have the privilege of studying with either, so I cant help.
    Roy

3. Harold Zinno

Jul 17, 2007
    Connecticut
    I'm sorry for the confusion. I am referring to Don Jacoby.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  4. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I studied with Jake from 1981 through 1984. I learned a ton of stuff from him. I didn't really know who he was at first. I was from a small town in Missouri and had never heard of him. I just knew that all the guys at NTSU studied with him. At my first lesson the phone rang. Jake answered it and said "Doc baby, hugs and kisses. Lunch, sure, what time and where." I was blown away. Of course it didn't take me long to learn who he was and how lucky I was to have lessons with him

I was working on a picc piece for my grad recital. The picc I was playing wasn't much. Jake pulled out a 3 valve Selmer and loaned it to me. He said he just went out to his mailbox one day and it was there with a note from Selmer saying check it out and let us know what you think. It was an awesome horn. It had a big, open sound. I put a kicker ring on the 3rd valve for Jake so intonation could be helped.

5. Harold Zinno

Jul 17, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi Mike..thanks for your response. I studied with as I said in 76-78 in Dallas. He had a condo there. I believe by the time you got to him he was living on the outskirts of Denton. He was awesome, after all my years of practicing and studying with various teachers, Jake truly tought me how to blow this damm thing!!!!

6. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    As I stated earlier, I never had the privilege of studying with Mr. Jacoby, or even meeting him, but his recording "Have Conns will travel" was worn out around my house when I was a teen! Later, I very much enjoyed his method book. You guys are lucky to have known him( as I'm sure you know!") What a player!

Roy Griffin

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Anyone remember Jake on the Breakfast Club?
    Wilmer

8. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    No, but I remember Jake the Snake Roberts from wrestling!
    :D

9. mcstock

mcstock New Friend

Aug 15, 2005
    Norman OK
    I studied very briefly (8 or so lessons) with Jake the summer before he died. Always regretted not having gone to him earlier. Even though physically he was slowing down, his charisma was intact. I've posted a few notes from my lessons at: http://www.geocities.com/mcstock.geo/Jake.HTML

Matt

10. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The "Breakfast Club" was an early network radio show from Chicago. Don McNeil was the host. My dad was a big fan of the show. I can remember Don Jacoby doing solos with the very fine band that played the show. It was, of course, live.
    Wilmer