"Jake"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Harold Zinno, Aug 15, 2007.

1. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Thanks for the info Mr. Wise! I figured you didn't mean Breakfast Club the movie...I wish I could have heard some of that.
    My father told me that years ago just about every weekend he would go see big name bands like Ellington, Dorsey, Basie, and Krupa. Too bad I missed that too!
    Think I was born in the wrong era...:cool:
    -Andrew

2. Harold Zinno

Harold Zinno Pianissimo User

Jul 17, 2007
    Connecticut
    Wilmer.....he played that Connstellation like no one else could.When I was with him, sometimes my lesson was on saturday morning at 8am. Now we all know what we feel like at 8am after being out playing the night before. He would pick up that Conn without any warm-up, not even a lip buzz and wale!!
    Matt!; I finally bought his book this year. I basically had it in his own Manuscript from my lessons.

3. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I never met Mr. Jacoby, BUT I heard him when I was ten, from about 12 rows back, center. He was playing with an "honor band", doing Ode to Trumpet and one or two other ditties. Wow, that sound is still in my head, fifty years later. That sound influenced my playing tremendously. I knew how a trumpet should sound, thanks to Jake.

Dave

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Another Jake story: I have a friend in Dallas that attended UNT in the 1970s and spent two years in the One O'clock as a woodwind player and arranger. (He recently did arrangements for Placido Dimingo and big band players would recognize his name as arranger of many modern "stock" charts).

Anyway, Roger heard all the trumpeters talking about Jake and arranged for a lesson on a Sunday afternoon. Rog loves bari sax, so he took his bari to the lesson. Jake says something like, "Play me something kid" and Rog played a solo he'd transcribed and then some original stuff and then just a few riffs until Jake said, "That's enough."

Next thing Roger knows is Jake's broke open a new bottle of gin and filled two glasses. Then Jake proceeded to talk about the good and the bad about Roger's "ideas". The lesson lasted well into the night. Rog says that one and only lesson with Jake was one of the most powerful events in his musical life. He still thinks about that lesson 30-years later.

Dave

5. connloyalist

connloyalist Pianissimo User

May 1, 2006
    Netherlands
    I was able to pick up a copy of "Have Conns will travel" off eBay a while ago, recorded it to my computer, cleaned it up some and burned a CD. Fabulous. That particular "Have Conns will travel" record was also played a lot by whoever owned it. Of course, I don't think that those records Conn put out were particularly good quality vinyl anyway. A Bill Page (Conn woodwind artist at the time) single I have is much the same way, quality wise.

I have a Don Jacoby and the college all stars record around here too somewhere, also transferred that to CD.

If anyone has a copy of Have Conns will travel around and doesn't have the equipment anymore to play it, I will be glad to take it off your hands. Perhaps if I combine recordings from the two, I can get a decent CD.

Any idea what the copyrights on such an LP would be these days? I know I can make a CD for my own use, that's what the other LP-to-CD folks tell me (I do quite a bit of eBay shopping like that and have become somewhat adept at cleaning records up, digitally).

Regards, Christine

6. Harold Zinno

Jul 17, 2007
    Connecticut
    Dave: I was smiling as I read your post. I could just see Jake's grin as he was pouring the gin. Jake loved to have company from his student's. He used to love to make a big pot of chile and have us all over. As I said before, he is the one that made me a player.

7. Harold Zinno

Jul 17, 2007
    Connecticut
    christine: I have a cassette tape of " Have Conns Will Travel"

8. connloyalist

connloyalist Pianissimo User

May 1, 2006
    Netherlands
    Hi Harold,

Taken from an LP, I assume? I don't think cassette tapes were around when that LP came out. If the quality is reasonable, can you make a copy?

Regards, Christine

9. williamhart1941

williamhart1941 New Friend

Aug 30, 2007
    On Jake's "Have Conns Will Travel" album, I am the student in the picture with Jake. The picture was taken in the band room at East Grand Rapids (Michigan) High School during the spring of 1957, my junior year. I am very very lucky to have met Jake. We got acquainted while the photographer (Mr. LaClaire from GR) did his work. That night, Jake came to a concert, where I played a solo. When the concert ended, he told my mother and my band director, Warren Faulkner (excellent trumpet player, teacher, and mentor!!!!) that he'd like
    me to spend a week at his home in Waukeegan Illinois-no charge. "Dori and I have 3 sons--Bill will fit in,
    I'll give him lessons and get him a new horn." I had 8
    WONDERFUL days at their home during July 1957. Every
    night, I rode with Jake to the CBS studio in Chicago to
    watch the rehearsal and live broadcast of "In Town Tonight." Jake's lead sound was incredible-WARM, strong, so perfect. Caesar Petrillo-brother of James C.
    Petrillo conducted the orchestra: big band with 4
    trumpets (Jake, Warren Kime, Louie & Porky Panicco)
    plus a string section and harp. The HiLo's performed one
    night. The musicians nailed everything on the first reading--that amazed me and showed me in a hurry what the standards were for REAL musicians. Jake and I
    talked trumpet while we washed his car--philosophy about how we have to treat others, how wonderful it is to
    be a musician, how we should pass on what we've learned (I'm tearing a bit as I write this--I LOVED the man!). I received the trumpet soloist award in April
    1962 at the Collegiate Jazz Festival in Notre Dame, my
    senior year at Michigan State Univ.(Henry Mancini &
    Quincy Jones were judges). Two months later, I was a
    very happy 4th trumpet player in the Tommy Dorsey
    Orch. , fronted by Jake's friend Sam Donahue. I did that for 6 months. Jake got
    me summer vacation gigs during my undergraduate
    years at MSU: Peter Palmer Voices & Orch., Teddy Phillips
    --Jake played "I Can't Get Started" on Teddy Phillips'
    "Concert in the Sky". Jake and I always kept in touch.
    I am in my 44th year of teaching mathematics at Macomb Comm. College, Clinton Township MI. My
    teaching philosophy is to try to do it "Jake's way"--be
    serious, but NEVER solemn, encouraging others to stay
    with it--it's worth knowing. Jake took me to the Conn
    factory that summer (1957) . I had just turned 16. When
    he introduced me to the Conn officials, he made me
    feel so important. I went away with a Connstelation
    38B. Jake had me play in on the train for the strangers
    in the dining car as we rode back to Waukeegan. Don
    Jacoby changed my life, and I will be forever grateful to
    Warren Faulkner for having Mr. LeClair use me as a
    student getting a lesson in that photo. I still play a
    Conn Constellation every day, and am active playing
    as many gigs as I can. I joined Trumpetmaster.com
    yesterday when my friend and colleague Chuck Willard
    told me that people were writing to share their memories
    of Don Jacoby. One of my best friends, Ray Brennan,
    was a classmate of Jakes at the Ernest Williams School of
    music. Ray still plays trumpet at age 86. He's a WWII
    vet, and traveled 300,000 miles by ship on the heavy
    cruiser Witchata. The waves that Jake's life left behind
    still have energy. Talk to anyone who knew Jake. Upon the mentioning of his name, there's always a pause, a
    smile, followed by the telling of a story or two, celebrating his energy, his zest for life, EXCELLENCE as
    a musician, and his motto "if you ain't GIVING, you
    ain't LIVING." Bill Hart ( my websites are: Math with Hart Home & www.musicwithhart.com)
    JAKE'S SON, BUBBA, IS MARKETING THE "HAVE CONNS WILL TRAVEL" cd AND JAKE'S TRUMPET BOOK.
    Please don't burn pirated recordings--- let Jake's son benefit from the treasures on that cd.
    You can order them online.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  10. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Wow Bill, great story. Thanks for joining TM to add that wonderful piece. If you never post again you'll still be one of our "most valuable contributors."

Dave