James Morrison and the SSO

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    I'm taking my son to see James Morrison and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra tomorrow night at the Sydney Opera House and I can't wait. The last time I saw JM was in 1987 at in a little jazz club in Sydney. I was a drummer and really interested in what his brother John was doing behind the kit. What James was doing was so over my head it wasn't funny.
    Tomorrow night they're doing movie tunes—Star Wars, James Bond etc—so perfect for my eight year old son.
    So, has anyone seen James Morrison lately? The guy is a fair dinkum legend down here in Oz (sorry, I broke into local vernacular there for minute). I'll let you know how the evening goes, if I can get my jaw off the floor and get home, but just wondering what his reputation is like elsewhere.

2. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    I'm listening to "Scream Machine" right now. I love the guy.

Mark

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Enjoy the show! This is one of the things I miss out on by not living near one of the "Big 4" in Australia...

Fairly recently Mr Morrison has changed horn brands to Schagerl - I tried out one of his signature Schagerl models in January and it was very nice indeed (and that was with me playing it - so imagine what he can do with it!) - I presume he'll be playing his today.

--bumblebee

4. Darkflugel20

Darkflugel20 New Friend

Jan 10, 2011
    Wow, lucky guy! I'd love to see James Morrison live!

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    JM does a great show, as part of my commitment to live musicians I take my family to as many of Morrisons gigs as I can. I've seen him recently with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra (SSO), the MSO and I think he did one of the performances with the ITG too, all at the Sydney Opera House.

He shows his virtuosity but he also is "humble" enough to allow the other musicians to shine too (that's always assuming that you can describe a trumpeter as humble).

One of the features is his tendency to use his rest periods to chat to the audience - and it's quite a personal conversation - your 8 year old will love it as JM describes what is going on - gives a little history and colours the performance with his own take both musically and intellectually.

If you're lucky he will switch instruments - his take on a tuned garden hose and placky funnel is worth seeing.

A couple of years ago I was fortunate enough to sit in with him and the Salvation Army Melbourne Staff Band practice (I didn't get to play though - hard to form an embouchure when your jaw is all slack in amazement) and later in the 'small' invited audience at the Salvos Sydney Citadel. James M played trumpet, tuba, eupho, baritone, trombone, french horn, flugle, garden hose and piano during the performance - at one point he did one of his own compositions simultaneously playing piano left handed and trumpet in his right hand.

Worth every penny - so much so that I can no longer remember how much it cost. :thumbsup: Good on you for introducing an 8 yo to LIVE music.

The only small niggling doubt I have is that he has gone teetotal for his craft - go figure :dontknow:.

6. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    What a gig! Fantastic. Ted you were right, he does sit back and let others shine. A lot of the night was James introducing younger 'talent' who played with him including an a'cappela group called The Idea of North, the guitarist James Muller and bass player Phil Stack. Jazz singer Emma Pask sang a few tunes and the great drummer Gordon Rytmeister was on everything.
    Morrison was incredible: Trumpet, flugelhorn, alto sax, trombone and piano, any of which he played at a level most people would give anything for. Even the Sydney Symphony Orchestra were looking on in amazement and those guys can play! JM has such a great rapport with the audience; it's very conversational, witty and he makes it such an enjoyable night. I highly recommend seeing him if you can.
    My son loved it—especially Star Wars—and I hope that this is the beginning of a lot of live gigs and concerts for us.
    A couple of other tunes: Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Strauss), The Entertainer (Joplin), a James Bond Melody (Norman, Conti, Barry, McCartney), Smile (Chaplin), Over the Rainbow (Harburg & Arlen), Easter Parade, Blue Skies, Alexander's Ragtime Band (Berlin), What a Wonderful World (Thiele & Weiss and as played by Louie).
    Now, I'm off to practice and no doubt cry into my trumpet case when I realise just how far away I am from playing like that!

7. trptStudent

trptStudent New Friend

Jan 5, 2006
    I remember stumbling across James Morrison when I was in university. A German friend of mine sent me a link of him and I remember my jaw completely dropping as I watched him double on the trumpet and trombone. I think my jaw may have scraped the ground when I listened to him trading fours with himself on trombone and trumpet, made possible by the fact that he was playing so high up on the trombone that he didn't need to move the slide to slot what he was playing.

An amazing musician by anyone's definition and from your descriptions, an amazing person. I can't imagine what it'd be like to see one of his live shows.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Matt and Son,

Glad you enjoyed the evening with James Morrison and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra - that Emma Pask is something too, isn't she. Just for interest check out the following link - an electronic trumpet - not a toyota robot the MDT (Morrison Digital Trumpet) ....

Morrison Digital Trumpet

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I love his playing, and his personality shines. A true gem to Music.
    And his early days at Soup Plus in Sydney are still fond memories.

Glad you and your son had a memorable night.
    BTW - he says he seldom practices..... but plays a lot!!

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Hmmm, Let's see - that would make a Trombone actually a 'natural trumpet' if one does not move the slide.
    I, too have only seen him on YouTube videos. I would love to see him live here in the US. I have recently been to see Chris Botti and the Mnozil Brass live and I love the energy of a live performance.