James Morrison

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, Dec 21, 2007.

1. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Has anyone here heard of him? I'm sure someone has because he's probably one of the best I've ever heard. He's from Australia, and he plays just about any brass instrument you can think of. He has designed many horns and has put out plenty of CD's. If you haven't heard him, you need to go to James Morrison - Home right now. If that doesn't work (He just changed his site around, and my computer won't play the audio files), go to YouTube and type in James Morrison, or just go to this link-

YouTube - james morrison - groove merchant
    (This does not really showcase his ability very well, but it's a great example)

As I said, he's probably the best I've ever heard. Before you get on me about ones you've heard that were better, check him out a little further. He plays so many different instruments with world-class quality that it will change your mind. I especially like one on his site called "I Asked For A Blues." (under multimedia- video files on his site) In this one, he plays trumpet for most, but takes a break to trade solos with the trombone player, on a trombone himself. I've got a CD with songs of him playing sax, trumpet, trombone, piano, tuba, euphonium, and a heck of a lot more. In one song called "Le Belleclaire Blues," he played every horn in the whole band and looped them all together! He's got a brother, John, who plays drums and has his own big band. James played with him at the Sydney Olympics. I was lucky enough to somehow come across one of his recordings a couple of years ago, and it was probably the reason I'm still playing the way I am now.
    Anyway, no matter what anyone else thinks of him, he will always be my favorite musician. He's just great, although it is somewhat tough to buy his CDs because you have to get them shipped from Australia. A really good summary of his career so far is "So Far So Good," released in 2002 I think. It has a bunch of songs that were most famous up to that time. I'll be quiet now, but I hope everyone enjoys. :D

YouTube - James Morrison demonstrates multiphonics (trombone multiphonics)

YouTube - James Morrison, self-duet #2 (duet with himself)

YouTube - James Morrison (kind of a weird keyboard part, but good trumpet solo)

YouTube - james morrison - scream machine (Scream Machine- the name says it all)

James Morrison - Video Files (video page, but mine doesn't work, so good luck)

2. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    He did an album about 15 years ago with the Ray Brown Trio Called "Snappy Doo". It's freakin' hip if you can still find it.... might be bargin bin by now, but it's a rare find!!

3. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    James definitely is a freak. I much prefer his trombone playing to his trumpet playing. He plays quite lyrically with a touch of Frank Rosolino. Glad you like him. He is the only Jazz player in Australia to become a household name. He even did a stint on a lifestyle show (nothing to do with music).

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I attended a recent live performance in Sydney by James playing with the Salvation Army Melbourne Staff Band - wow. These sorts of shows tempt me two ways - give up trumpetting and just listen to the masters, or give up alcohol and seriously get into the practice. (On second thoughts, I'll never be that good - I left it all 35 years too late, and I do like my beer a bit.)

James is a protege of Don Burrows, another Aussie Jazz legend - there are a couple you know. James Morrison gives freely to the Australian music comunity in his unfailing support of the local High School Band programmes. I'm not a fan of James screamin' renditions up high but I recognise the dedication that allows it to happen. His Trombone, Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Tuba, Piano and self accompanyment skills are quite amazing. I recommend his recordings, but live is better.;-)

5. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    I can only dream of seeing him live. I just hope he still does live shows by the time I am able to go. I've heard of Don Burrows; he's a flute player, right? I think he's on one of the songs in "So Far So Good." Yes, I've heard of Snappy Doo, and I hope to get it sometime. That song, Snappy Doo, is just amazing. I don't know all the songs on the actual CD. I've seen videos on YouTube of him playing with high school jazz bands and what not, but I just wish I lived in Australia so I could see him play easier. I just can't get enough of it.

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    More than likely he will be featured at the ITG conference in Sydney, AU in 2010.

7. Matt o-iii<O

Matt o-iii<O Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah, Don burrows does play flute.
    He also plays saxes and clarinet and is also very involved in education
    I also recommend James morrison to anyone interested in jazz.
    Another album to look out for is his fairly recent recording 2x2
    with Joe chindamo (legendary australian pianist),
    It's a two disc set. The first being in a quartet format and the second is James and Joe. He plays trumpet, Trombone,Flugelhorn, Bass flugelhorn and tenor sax on the album. Check it out.

Matt.

8. ajbdownunder

ajbdownunder New Friend

Dec 19, 2007
    Yes, James Morrison is a fantastic multi-instrumentalist.... plays all the brass instruments, pretty handy on the sax and gives the piano a fair crack too. I saw him a few weeks ago at the Basement in Sydney (get there if you ever come to Sydney) and he was really impressive. Very hard, high and fast. He has also developed a digital trumpet. Very interesting concept; uses the trumpet configuration with digital enhancement to produce other instrument/synthetic sounds.