James Stamp Warm- Ups

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The BuZZ, Jul 12, 2007.

1. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    Greetings all!
    After many, many years of using Schlossberg warm-ups I have recently (maybe 3/4 months ago) switched over to the Stamp warm-ups.
    I am looking for some expert feedback from those of you that are well versed in this approach. My question (s) to you my Trumpet brethren is this:
    1) What MM markings do you subscribe to? ( #'s 4a & 5 not withstanding from Roy Poper's guide to.......)
    2) Do you leave the mouthpiece on your chops throughout the entire "Basic warm-up", (#3 for example) or do you take off the piece after each double bar?
    This is how I have been approaching Mr. Stamp's warm-ups:
    MM quarter note= 60, (72 for #4b). I keep the mouthpiece on my chops throughout the entire excercise, BUT take the pressure off for 4 counts while I inhale on beats 3 and 4.
    What says you? I look forward to your responses!
    Peace:cool:

2. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Sorry I can't answer any of your questions, I don't have that book. I have Stamp's Buzzing book however and the only thing I would say is that I take the mouthpiece off between exercises. I also take slower tempos than the written to 'lock' in on all the pitches.

3. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    I agree that it is best to go slowly enough on these exercises to really "lock in" on the center of each pitch.
    As for taking the horn off your face, I do so after every key of every exercise, then rest for as many counts as I just played. In fact, I have inserted extra breath marks in the middle of the long ones.
    Great book if you are one who likes pedaltones!

4. dambly

dambly Pianissimo User

Sep 7, 2005
    You may want to check out the latest edition of the Stamp book, which comes with play-along CDs -- the tempos on the CDs were those dictated to Tom Stevens by Stamp himself when the book was first assembled.

From Stamp's perspective, I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about keeping the mouthpiece on your lips (what would amount to a "Caruso" approach to playing the exercises), but if that were part of your practice strategy, you could apply it to the Stamp Warm-Ups as well as any other exercise.

The Stamp Exercise No. 6, if played all the way through, can keep the horn on your face for quite a while.

-Tom

5. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    Thank ya' kindly for this information, I will most certainly check into this!

6. beartrumpet74

beartrumpet74 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Stevens has said that Stamp believed people played his stuff too slow, and Stevens Cd's with the stamp book done by Tom Dambly will show you how fast Tommy did them. It is significantly faster than I started doing these years ago, and the faster speed is very very helpful.
    my 2 cents
    Matt

7. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    I'm ordering the book as I write down these words, well not really, well you all know what I mean!;-)
    Thank you as well for your input, much appreciated "beartrumpet74"!:thumbsup:

8. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    I ran into Roy Poper at ITG and asked him (in a delightful conversation) the tempo question too. He said Stamp would always say "keep it moving, keep it moving." I believe Stamp was trying to get us playing without too much fretting.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  9. trumpet_high

trumpet_high New Friend

Oct 21, 2009
    Caracas
    Please, try to traduce this.
    Muchas cosas en la trompeta son más psicológicas que físicas.
    Después de 30 años tocando y enfrentándome a los "problemas" comunes de los trompetistas, he descubierto que todos los consejos, descubrimientos y enseñanzas tienen una base en común. Sólo con el estudio conciente se pueden encontrar las coincidencias en lugar de las diferencias pues lo que cambia es la manera de expresar la manera correcta de tocar.
    Mi consejo es que tengamos tolerancia a la incertidumbre de cómo nos va a sonar la trompeta un día, y nos centremos en lo básico. El calentamiento no debería ser algo rutinario ni predecible, así como tu no sabes con qué estado de ánimo te vas a levantar un día. Así que debemos saber adaptarnos a las condiciones de cada día y encontrarle el "truco" de cada día.
    Yo he encontrado que sumando las enseñanzas de Jerome Callet y Louis Maggio tengo una media que me ayuda a tocar bien cada día.
    Si observamos con cuidado, cada trompetista toca de una manera distinta, pero en realidad, cuando se logra éxito, de los labios para adentro, es igual en cada uno.
    La preocupación es la peor amenaza de cualquier músico. Manteniendo la calma de un sabio la trompeta nunca nos ganará.
    Cheers!!!!!

10. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    I follow the tempo on the CD. I'm at work now playing the first warm up in my head and I would say the tempo is about 1/4 = 96.