James Thompson Book

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Glenn_Magerman, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Glenn_Magerman

Glenn_Magerman New Friend

Aug 18, 2007
    Hi,

I'm working on the Thompson Buzzing method for a year now, and i would like to see what someone else's opinion is about the book...

I'm very pleased with the material and use it every day to warm up, no matter if i have a jazz gig or a section gig or a classical gig :-)

2. bachstrad72

bachstrad72 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2007
    Philly
    I love it!

3. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    I bought it at ITG. I was wondering how you guys felt about how easy it is to use without a teacher.

4. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    I love it, but when it comes to using it without a teacher, I think it would be tough. I learned how to use the buzzing book with help from one of thompsons students. She was able to teach me the right way to do it. There are so many things that one could do incorecctly. But after doing it every day, I have noticed an enourmous improvement in tone, and my embouchure.

5. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    I just got mine a week ago and have been doing the first 4 daily on BERP and horn, as indicated (I also added a couple more yesterday). I was never real geekish about this sort af thing, but now, at a rather advanced age, I'm really getting into it, and the Stamp book as well. So far my impressions are very favorable. The accompaniments make it easier to hang in there, and I really feel well warmed up afterwards. This is the kind of stuff my chiops need, for flexibility and range. I still have problems with pedals, but I'll just keep hacking away. I'll check in again in a few weeks and let you know how it's going.

6. Glenn_Magerman

Glenn_Magerman New Friend

Aug 18, 2007
    I've been doing it without teacher... Do you have any tips we could miss otherwise?

I really feel completely fresh and warmed up afterwards. On busy days I do 1-8, otherwise I play them all...
    For finger warmup, i add some clarke as well

I think it has to do with the mouthpiece buzzing, and transferring those glissandi to the trumpet as well to let the notes pop out; that makes it so good; sort 'o like the half tone bends in stamp, but then expanded, and like the c2-c3 scales without fingerings in Quinque...

7. alex81

alex81 New Friend

Jul 3, 2005
    Buzzing Basics is amazing.......if it's done correctly. Two suggestions:

First, stay relaxed (don't try to force the crescendos or the glissando)

Second, TAKE A LESSON or two from Thompson or someone who has studied with him. It will make a world of difference.

Alex

8. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Great book, but I've been doing it by myself. Oops, where would I find such a teacher?

9. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    Glenn-

I would say one of the most important things with buzzing basics is to be completley relaxed and don't force anything. let the air do the work. Pretty much everything that needs to be done is written in the book. I can't think off the top of my head what my teacher told me that is not in the book. it is just easier when u have someone to watch over you, to tell you whatt you are doing wrong. Especially one of thompsons students because they know exactly when you should move on to each excersise. This book will break a lot of bad habits if you follow it correctly and will also improve many things in your playing. One thing my teacher said was that anything that you can play on the mouthpiece, you can play on the horn. And also, always play buzzing basics with the music, and never by memory. I hope this was somewhat helpful.

10. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    Wannabe-

If you are in the Los Angeles area, I can recommend several people to you. Otherwise look for a recent Eastman graduate, or give Thompson a ring :-P