James Thompson Book

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Glenn_Magerman, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Glenn_Magerman

Glenn_Magerman New Friend

Aug 18, 2007

great, and Europe? :-)

2. Glenn_Magerman

Glenn_Magerman New Friend

Aug 18, 2007
    There is one thing that i do diferently from the book:
    i play the low f with 1 instead of 123x...

3. valejazz

valejazz New Friend

Dec 11, 2005
    Roma - Italia
    I bought the book from BIM two years ago and I have found it excellent. Improving my air usage, endurance and sound.

Now I am working on Anhtony Plog's vol1 of his trumpet method...and it's another great tool for warming up!

4. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona
    I think the 123x fingering is to help get the sound and feel of low F ingrained into our playing. It is a needed note for orchestra playing, and fingering it 1 will get nasty stares from the celli if you are playing Carmen. A beautiful low f in the Thompson book, IMHO, is different from low f (which I finger 1) in Stamp.

5. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    I've ben using the book for ~ 6 months, playing the 1st 9. It's definately helped me with some bumps in my playing. It's a great restorative tool for when things seem to go wrong or I spend too much time away from the horn as well.

6. Trompedo

Trompedo New Friend

Mar 29, 2007
    Rheinberg, Germany
    Hi!

I have been used the book for more then one year! But after I had a lesson with a profession, I learned to use the book right.
    I think it is imortant to control the sound/ tone with the air. I think you can train you diaphragm, becaurse you can overdo it to train only to get the note and to get higher.