James Thompson's Buzzing Book (Ed BIM)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by valejazz, Nov 14, 2006.

1. valejazz

valejazz New Friend

Dec 11, 2005
    Roma - Italia
    I have been using it so much I almost can't warm up and do a basic routine in a different way...

Funny I cannot anymore warm up with my old Stamp routine!

I think it's an excellent book, but I'd like to know the opinion of other trumpet players.

Valerio

2. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    if i have time and am careful i like it, but if not careful my lower lip/jaw does odd things while buzzing. for me i think it is best to do 1-4 and then stamp. if pressed for time i don't buzz at all.

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I use it as often as I can in conjunction with the B.E.R.P.

I can't say enough about this method. I really credit it with enhancing my tone and centering my pitch on individual notes. It's a great weapon to have in our arsenal!

4. valejazz

valejazz New Friend

Dec 11, 2005
    Roma - Italia
    thanks for your replies...

yes Cornetguy you have to be careful follow the dynamics etc..and it's a nice idea to start with 1-4 and go Stamp, I'll try it!

Kinghornplayer: my reactions to the book are yours: did you complete the whole routine including the upper register excercises? Did you also find an increase in upper range control?

Valerio

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I have yet to go beyond excercise #7 as I'm working though a lot of music right now getting ready for the Christmas season and have limited time to devote to studies.

I'm hoping after the 1st of the New Year to start working those excersises into my routine.

Thanks for sharing your expirence; I was hoping to find an excercise that would do that for me as it has done for you.

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    alex can you jump in on this with ideas hints etc from Thompson?

7. valejazz

valejazz New Friend

Dec 11, 2005
    Roma - Italia
    I usually try to reach number 11 if I have enough time. The benefits are great on the high G to C (Bb speaking) register and you get a strong foundation before moving to the upper register, on which I am still working.

Sometimes I try n. 12 and it's hard (I can't do it all..) but I think quite useful, afer mastering the Advanced Exercises.

Valerio

8. valejazz

valejazz New Friend

Dec 11, 2005
    Roma - Italia
    I tested your routine.

Today I played 1-4 from Thompson then 3, 4a and first part of 5 from Stamp. Then Clarke Technical Studies n1, very soft through the whole register as Marvin Stamm taught me.

Yesterday had an hard rehearsal playing 2nd in a jazz big band and was not sure about my lip response...this routine went smooth and easy, quite nice...

Valerio