Japan Bound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Clint Rhodes, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Clint Rhodes

Clint Rhodes New Friend

Jan 25, 2007
    Hi Everyone,

I'll be headed to Japan at the end of August to study abroad for the fall semester. I'll be in Yokohama, which is just south of Tokyo.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and advice on trumpet study in Japan and locating a private teacher. Since I'll be near Tokyo, I don't think it will be hard to find professional trumpet players, but locating a good one that speaks English, well... that may be a challenge. I'm learning Japanese, but I'm nowhere near fluency, so I'm holding out hope for someone that speaks English.

I would just practice on my own, but I have to give my senior recital not long after I return, so I would prefer to keep studying under someone while I'm in Japan for four months.

Any help would be welcome. Thanks.

2. MaynardTrumpet

MaynardTrumpet Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    Find Eric Myashiro :p.

3. jmtrumpet

jmtrumpet New Friend

Jul 11, 2006
    WV
    Neil Stalnaker is in Tokyo, if you can work something out you should definitely try to grab a lesson, or at least check out one of his shows.

http://www.neilstalnaker.com

4. Clint Rhodes

Clint Rhodes New Friend

Jan 25, 2007
    lol, I doubt Eric Miyashiro would have the time for weekly lessons.

Thanks for the suggestion on Stalnaker, but I'm looking for someone more inclined to legit stuff. Although, I'll definitely try to catch some of his gigs in Tokyo, among others. Japan is a great place for jazz, I think.

5. shoehorn

shoehorn New Friend

Jun 16, 2008

Don't wrorry about that. After all, music is a universal language. :D

6. Clint Rhodes

Clint Rhodes New Friend

Jan 25, 2007
    Indeed. And we all speak some Italian, right? ;-)

Also, does anyone know any websites of schools, events, places, teachers, studios or whatever that would have any information on trumpet study in Japan? I've tried searching online myself, but I've had no luck. I've tried searching in Japanese as well, but I guess I don't know the correct way to phrase things with kanji and トランペット in order to find anything useful.