Japanese Girls Playing Brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bill benzon, Feb 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. bill benzon

bill benzon Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2008
    Jersey City
    While we're busing moping about the fate of the Philadelphia Symphony and about America's miserable support for the arts, listen to this group of Japanese grade schoolers from Hiroshima. It starts by featuring two young trumpeters, and then shifts to soprano saxophonist (who has her intonation down cold). Notice their carriage. They are proud and committed. And what about that percussionist in the back who moves back and forth the width of the stage?

YouTube - Japan Band Festival: Nakagurose Elementary School

2. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    DAMN. I wish I could get my kids to play this well!

Awesome Vid, thanks for sharing!

3. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    How did the boy with the trombone get into this group?

4. bill benzon

bill benzon Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2008
    Jersey City
    There was also a boy playing alto horn and one playing side drum (at the very end).

An ethnomusicologist buddy of mine (Charlie Keil) was in Japan several years ago and he tells me there are all these school bands with mostly female members. Just why, he didn't know, and I certainly don't know. For whatever reason, more Japanese girls are attracted to playing in bands than Japanese boys.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    If YOU were a boy with a Trombone, or even an Alto Horn, and someone offered you a gig with all those trumpeters, why would you hesitate? :roll:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hehehe, nobody tried to octave up the last note. Proof that the teacher is probably the traditional japanese DRAGON!

Great job! Maybe more classes in the west need this YouTube clip played - for inspirational purposes?

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    What's with the conductor coming in? I don't think that she is really needed on stage...

8. aucklander

aucklander New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I believe the band (Big Band) movement in Japan and other parts of Asia (Taiwan also) was influenced by America back in the late 50's.. till this day there are many either elementary school band or high school band runs under this format... I have the opportunity to visit one of the top female high school in Taiwan during one of their school festival couple of years ago, their talent and teamwork was impressive!

I've also personally played in one of these big band (or marching band) setting, and the truth is... conductor are only useful if things go wrong (people skipping bars or jump into the wrong section).. and the rest of the time people played by memory (music, stage position etc)...

9. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Wonderful group this recording is an inspiration.

10. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    That was great!