Japanese Girls Playing Brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bill benzon, Feb 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Tedh1951, what's your Brazilian horn?

2. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Yes, the video is very impressive. Contrary to popular belief, but I don't think that "Asian kids" have more talent overall than "Western kids." I think that they all have relatively equal talent. However, after studying Japanese culture, and visiting the country on a musical tour, I can say that much of their development is thanks to their culture and educational system. Their schools are extremely rigorous, and music is no exception. If you watch these videos, you can see that everything is planned to a-T, even their movements! It blows me away how they can do that, but it is a very different culture than I grew up in. However, I think that we should not forget that there is a good balance in the professional world between people of all cultures. The Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra (which is the best band in Asia) is fantastic, but I would not say they are more fantastic than the Chicago or New York orchestras. They have a very different mission. That is always something to keep in mind.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Philippe, I have a Weril EP4071 in gold plate. It's a neat little pocket trumpet (with a small bell) that I use when travelling. Gives a good reliable sound. I've done a little 'engineering' on the valve set in terms of a small amount of remedial lapping and the valves now operate to my satisfaction.

The trumpet plays well in tune but is a little awkward to hold with my short fat fingers - and it is almost as heavy as a standard trumpet - quite a surprising package to play. Weril make a range of brass and woodwind instruments and have been operating, I think, since the 1930s.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Weril, OK, didn't know about them, just heard the name. Thx.

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Wow. Big sound and good intonation -elementary? Wow! A good feel for the music.