Jason Harrelson Article on Trumpet Finishes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gzent, Jan 28, 2014.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Respectfully, no.

A Harrelson is what it is because of how it is engineered and built, not JUST because it is meticulously made.
    The most meticulously assembled (fill in horn with a lousy design) will still play like a poorly designed horn.

2. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    For the record Jason will sell a trumpet without the scratched finish but you will wait a bit longer. I know this because I inquired about it for my Summit One.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And this is where one artisan turns to another. Jason told me in our conversation as to how my horn will be finished (brushed silver and gold to be done by Jason himself), that he sends choice lacquer jobs to Tom Green. Tom does all the word for the Harrelson Midnight. I can say after sending Tom 4 trumpets, his lacquer work is a fine art.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That may be one factor, but I was just told that me silver and gold scratched finished horn I was to get this month, that it will take yet another 4 months. Other than the art work inlay to the tuning slide (my TM Avatar), my horn is a fairly straight forward order. But as noted by Rowuk, I would right get the horn done right than to have it done right now. So I am fine with any artisan that takes his/her time to make a superb product.

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    The thing some people don't know is that Jason designs and build every horn himself.
    If there is a disruption to his life it will immediately delay all orders.

I'm not saying this is a good or bad business model, it is what it is.

However I do get annoyed when people (not anyone on this thread) complain that their order is taking longer than
    promised. Life happens, people get sick, etc. If people want something quick they can play an off the shelf horn.
    I think a man like Jason has earned the right to take unplanned breaks from his work once in a while as well.

Pardon the slight diversion of topic.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is actually a very good point and not even a diversion! It simply serves to inform about something that was NOT in the article, but has very much to do with the finish.

It is a "bad" business model if the buyer does not know what they are getting into - or did not research the purchase beforehand. We are so spoiled by overproduction elsewhere, that many do not realize how special a horn like this is - to Jason too! I mean, these are like his babies - every one individually!

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Also, I sense that some people think that because a product is expensive that gives them the right to make certain
    demands on the supplier. Sorry, but no.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Absolutely. And for those who never had the experience of ordering a horn though Jason, it is an amazing experience. You have the chance to interview with him, in which I feel he really had the chance to get to know me, the way I would be using this horn, and receiving feedback from this understanding as to optimizing leadpipe and bell configuration. I have never had someone spend so much time in getting to know me, with such sincerity to make sure I would be 100% satisfied with this product. After nearly 50 years of knowing myself as a player, I feel I can convey the truth to Jason of what I want from this horn, and through his years of experience know with confidence he hears me. That is worth the extra cost that for me is a piece of equipment that is just as much a part of the art, as the performance that comes out of this horn.

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
  10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ... and I came to Harrelsons because I could afford the discretionary expenditure - not because of my prowess with the instrument. My telephone interviews with Jason ensured that I was led to a purchase that met my rather uncoordinated thoughts and opinions of what I liked about trumpet - none of it very objective. The outcome is simply astounding for me, I have a very solidly built, well finished, easy to play, projecting, trumpet - and the better I get at the whole process of playing, the more the trumpet simply "travels" with that development. It is a better instrument than I am capable of playing, and I will probably not ever be able to explore the limits of the horn - and all from a 'trumpetmaster' who asked all the right questions, transformed them into a design, produced a trumpet that continues to exceed my expectations and capabilities. There were moments during the build when I thought the 'fettling' had gone awry - I was wrong - but it taught me patience.

If you decide to go with a Harrelson Trumpet, you are in for a long drawn out lifetime journey from purchase decision and beyond .... Live Long and Prosper. (Yes, my boys bought me the Star Trek video collection for Christmas).