Jason Harrelson explaining his SWE concepts...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gbdeamer, Jan 8, 2011.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
  2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Jason told me quite a while ago that the "half and half" parts were coming some day.
    Its cool to see that they are actually being produced now!

His imagination is a gift.

3. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    The Harrelson trim kits are totally awesome! Precision machining like I've never seen before.
    Great customer service, world class quality.
    Oh, yes, I put their SWE trim kit on my Yammie.

4. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Are there any objective measures that indicate that these trim kits actually make a significant difference in the playability of a given horn?

I'm not trying to start any arguments, I am just genuinely curious.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

I have no background in engineering or physics, but I'm really curious about that too. I've been able to play a couple of Bravura's, and they're REALLY fine instruments, so Jason is on to something, but I have no idea what kind of testing he does.

It would be interesting to see if there was any comparison data for a trumpet (a Xeno for example) with and without an SWE setup.

I'm not even sure what tools you'd use for "validation"...

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    When I played my Yammie side by side with a Xeno, you could tell they were definitely from the same family.

FWIW, my 2335 has had a lot of custom work done on it, including a Xeno heavy upgrade kit, and a Harrelson SWE Copper trim kit. You can see photos on another of my posts on Harrelson Trim kits.

I can tell no difference in sound, but there is a huge difference in the feel of the horn, much for the better. A friend of mine has heavy weight bottom caps and claims little or no difference in sound, although we both like the cosmetic effect on the horn.

I think a lot of performance exists to some degree in the mind of the player, and as such, perception is reality.

7. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    I was thinking that all else being equal (same horn, same mpc, same player), assessing whether the trim kit affects pitch as determined by a chromatic tuner. Another relatively simple test is to assess full dynamic (decibel) range at a fixed distance, with and without the trim kit. I acknowledge that tone and feel are subjective, but these are just a couple of potentially simple tests.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Matthias Beck, a trumpet maker in Southern Germany has a computer system that can check for intonation and response. I noticed an improvement on some of my horns using weighted bottom caps and mouthpiece and asked Matthias if the computer testing showed any change. He said it didn't.

Here is a link showing some test results for mouthpieces: Kelly Mundstücke im Computertest | blog.musikbeck.de It is in German, but one can always look at the pictures.

9. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Interesting- thanks for that.

10. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    This confirms what my unscientific ears told me. But the kits give a different overall feel to the horn, plus they look real cool (who said looks don't count?).