jaw pain

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Sorry, this is one area where Vulgano Brothers keep there own mouths shut. Good luck, guys!!

2. Hhansontrpt06

Hhansontrpt06 New Friend

May 2, 2006
    For my overbite, it's all about the horn angle. I can either choose to uncomfortably thrust my lower jaw forward....OR.....angling the horn 10-15degrees lower achieves the same thing!

With young players, I like to have them stand with everything from head to heels touching a wall behind them. Still standing like that, have them play a few easy open tones at their normal horn angle (don't mention horn angles before this drill or you'll screw them up) Make sure those few tones sound GOOD!

Then ask them to step away from the wall without changing embechure or horn angle....they may only pivot at the neck (NOT the angle between horn and chops) when they adjust to their normal playing stance.

This has made the world of difference to my students and was an essential part of my progress because it takes pressure off the chops and tension out of the jaw with a visibly measurable solution. This problem is so easy to diagnose, too...you see it in kids who keep their stands too low or bury themselves in stands, especially when learning new pieces.

(Something to be aware of...it might just help that tenth person when the other nine get it another way)

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Thanks, Hhanson! And welcome aboard, too.