Jay Thomas website

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Jazzman, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    If you have never heard Jay play before check out his website. He is an amazing trumpet player that also happens to play all of the saxes. I mean he is a true master of trumpet and the reeds! Talk about a true jazz musician.....
    www.jaythomasjazz.com

2. PJN

PJN New Friend

Dec 14, 2003
    Hey Jazzman,

I had a chance to see Jay at the Port Townsend Jazz Festival. He really is a great player! I really thought he should just play sax and leave some room for the rest of us!!! Just kidding. In the first photo on the website, I think the guy in the background sat in at the club where I saw Jay. His name is Thomas ???, also from the Seattle area and a monster player.

Both of them played in the festival big band with Bobby Shew and another Seattle guy Brad Alison, Brad is also a great player and a smokin lead player.

Did I mention that the week I spent there was really exciting?!? The festival dovetails with the Bud Shank Jazz workshop , so every night there is so much music to choose from. During the day so much to learn. These guys really are great about sharing their knowledge.

Anyway, thanks for the link!

Patrick

3. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Jay Thomas and Floyd Standifer-

Just to think....Jay, like Floyd Standifer, (a world class ICON in Seattle...also plays sax equally well.
    Floyd is truly a national treasue...who also with Jay, often play with the www.srjo.org/ Go to the site and read further about these two gifted artists living here.
    Also check the www.tulas.com and see where they hang.

Another Orchestra with outstanding musicans....
    Check our Kevin Seeley's site: They will soon be doin' a great gig at Tulas'

www.seeleymusic.com

and for more Bobby Shew photos...go to Nich Dyson's old venture
    www.aboutthemusic.net and click on the gallery. Nice close up photos of BIG BIG BIG BOBBY, THE SHEWSTER
    Bobby has a heart and soul even bigger and betta'

4. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    Yes, I have participated in the Port townsend festival a few times. The last time was great and I spent alot of time with Bobby. I also have known Jay for more than 10 years. We played a gig together in December and man, he was on fire. Thomas Marriot is another great player, yes.......but not nearly as seasoned as Jay. Jay has language and that only comes with time and experience.
    Jay is also loved in Japan. I mean LOVED. He goes there and plays with the finest Big Band that I have ever heard. He tours and so many musicians fans line up at clubs over there just to hear him play. He plays with the finest players in japan and man, they are awesome. Japan is filled with great players....I mean awesome!!
    Anyway, yes Port Townsend was fun and I enjoyed it very much!! 8)

5. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Port Townsend...

Did you get a chance to play that gig in Townsend when Condoli was with him?

If I remember, wasn't that one of the last gigs that Condoli played?
    Bye the way.....did you catch KPLU's radio spot with Floyd Standifer, last week-end?
    I was running errands for my CFO and in my old demented brain damage....time flew bye and I totally missed it! Gee, I hate when that happens... :oops:

Back to Jay!!!!
    I can not recall many trumpet players that have such control of sound, emotion, and expression. Although this is a huge gift....I can't help but wonder, if playing that sax...(like Standifer, Sandoval and others) if it doesn't help in someway...give an edge or avenue of musicanship that many musicians who play only the trumpet...don't have?

Thomas Marriott, however...also seems to have that same soul or expression and emotion.
    I will never forget Thomas, playing that Golden Bach of his....on the darkened stage at Meany Hall, under that single white-hot spotlight, playing the most hauntingly unbelievable rendition of "A Child is Born!" in tribute to our late friend....Roy Cummings, jazz studies and trumpetmaster who passed this life all too soon?

I had the pleasure of sitting with Thomas and Ray Vega...last fall...at the Tula's trumpet summit.

We talked of Roy Cummings, when the conversation turned to teaching...and teachers. Ray Vega...is not recording as much of late, because of his professor ship in NYC.

Keep us informed...about our local friends in brass.
    Hey, where is our friend from Bellingham, now living in Marysville...Pete Kirkman?

Speaking of teachers...GADS! At one time he had over 35 students..and still managed time to play? Talk about driven????
    I miss his posts....
    We met at the old Rainier Brewery gigs...from time to time and stayed in touch on AOL. and at the Cornish and UofW gigs...