JAZZ A-B-Z

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Alex Yates, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I received an Amazon gift certificate for the holidays and of course it burned a hole in my pocket. I immediately ordered two of Wynton's books plus this collection called "An A to Z Collection of Jazz Portraits: Wynton Marsalis Jazz ABZ", Illustrated by Paul Rogers. Do any of you have this one? It is a fine book! The illustrations are as good as the text. It is very nicely put together and I highly recommend it as a treat for yourself. I also received "To a Young Jazz Musician" and "Jazz in the Bittersweet Blues of Life".

I just wanted to know if any of you have the ABZ book and what you thought. I really like it.

2. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    What Wynton books did you order?? I have Skain's Domain and really enjoyed it. ;-)

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    "To a Young Jazz Musician" and "Jazz in the Bittersweet Blues of Life".

I am halfway through "Bittersweet Blues" and enjoying it very much. I have not read the one you mentioned yet, but will put it on my list.

4. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    I just read the 'Jazz in the bittersweet blues of life'. Great book, and Wynton can really play when he wants too. So much of what he plays though doesnt' make much sense unless you understand the picture he's trying to paint by the music.

Bill

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The guy in the middle of that picture of Wynton, Wilmer and friend is Henry Nowak. Wynton played third trumpet on a Brooklyn Philharmonic tour. Wynton looks like he's about fifteen years old :lol:
    Wilmer