Jazz Clinics/Workshops/Camps (summer)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    What are the most highly ranked Jazz workshops/camps for the summer season? I'm currently looking into the UNC Jazz Workshop this summer, but was wondering what else I could look into.
    Thanks!

2. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    The only jazz workshops I went to were at UNC in Chapel Hill when I was in HS. Maynard and Stan Kenton did them back in the 70's. I'm sure there are many others out there. You would enjoy Chapel Hill. ECU is another music/medical school here in NC, but , that town is the dregs ! UNCG is another choice as well ( Greensboro ).

3. Jersey Dave

Jersey Dave New Friend

Jan 23, 2012
    Branchburg,n.j.
    My son attended Indiana University's audition camp this past July..It was a week long, he recieved lessons and the final day was given a mock audition to prepare him for really any college audition he would encounter..He found it very helpful, and the professors there were very thorough when it came to his final day review...The year before he attneded Rutger Jazz camp, had a great time, met a lot of different people from not only N.J. ,but surrounding states...The final night was concerts featuring numerous ensembles, along with professors and teachers also taking part...One of the teachers was Conrad Herwig, a tremendous trombone player who was unbeliveable when he performed with about 4 or 5 student trombone players together for a set...My sons instructor for his group was bass player Kenny Davis, who was on the Tonight Show with Leno for quite a few years...My son would have gone back there again if not for this audition camp at IU....

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Check out Banff in Alberta Canada. Beautiful scenery, and a TON of big names and amazing players. Audition to get in.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Mark, I would suggest first and foremost that you decide what you want out of your experience and narrow the clinics down with that criteria. In other words, what has priority, the teacher, the location, extra-curricular offerings? You may or may not be able to combine all of these, nor might you even want to.

For example, I might want to study with Ingrid Jensen and it wouldn't matter at what camp. Or . . I might be interested in getting in a lot of group playing time, so I would look for those opportunities. Or . . . I might just want to chill, play my horn and find a camp that is held concurrently with a jazz festival that I could also attend.

Both downbeat and Jazz Times have their summer workshop guides either out now or coming out soon. I'd grab both copies and start out with these. They are arranged geographically, have faculty listings, some features of the camps, etc and you can go to the web sites for further information.

FWIW, although I assume you are looking for domestic programs, I have been to summer workshops at the Conservatorium von Amsterdam, (Manhattan School of Music), Veneto Jazz in Bassano del Grappa, Italy, (New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music), and Berklee at Umbria in Perugia, Italy (Berklee College of Music), each outstanding in its own way. My experiences at these clinics illustrate what I mean by zooming in on exactly what you want to get out of your experience. Although I was playing sax, and although these are obviously in European cities, the fundamentals of what I mean about things to look for are the same:

In Amsterdam and Bassano I had Dick Oats and Billy Harper as instructors, respectively. Absolutely unreal!
    Amsterdam is a great city of the world, the workshop notwithstanding. Perugia is a charming city going back to Etruscan times.
    Perugia had the superb international Umbria Jazz Festival running concurrent with the jazz workshop. The "hang" atmosphere in the city piazzas at night was very cool. The women to die for.

At Perugia/Berklee, one year I manipulate my schedule so that I could play in three different ensembles. Beaucoup blowing time.
    Bassano and Amsterdam were small, manageable programs, more personal, Berklee was much larger and half of the students were singers.
    And so it goes. You get the picture.

Oh, one other thing, just as an aside. The tuition Berklee/Perugia and Bassano/New School programs cost less for two weeks residency than most American workshops cost for their 4-5 day programs. Of course, you have to get there. ;-) Also, having been to both one and two-week programs, I find the one-week programs personally a bit frustrating. I have the feeling of "workshop interruptus".

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  6. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    First, I want to thank you all for your responses, and I'll be sure to look more into what you suggest.

What I really am looking for is the education. I'm at the point where I'm willing to go anywhere, and invest what is necessary to help me develop as a player (including hard work!) I would say, in that case, the teacher is important, but I'm going to favor playing time with groups as well, to practice what I learn.

I'll be sure to check out DownBeat and Jazz Times (they keep slipping my mind...). I'm willing to travel abroad (sounds like fun, as well) depending on the programs. I'll see if I can gather more information about those programs you suggest, but according to what I'm searching for, which would be best suited for me, do you think? They all sound excellent.

I as well would favor as much time as possible at a camp, as long as I can afford it. I feel like I would get most out of a continuous process.