jazz/mariachi/classical/drum corps styles!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by brendag123, Apr 13, 2010.

1. brendag123

brendag123 New Friend

Nov 10, 2009
    brownsville, texas
    so im in a quintet playing a jazz piece, a mariachi with mariachi style, wind ensemble band, and a drum corps. all different styles...
    im have a REALLY REALLY hard time with the mariachi style. i DONT bring back mariachi style to anything else! i know better than that!

also with jazz, recital night is coming up, and im having a hard time with that style as well....

is this normal???

having a hard time with these 2 styles, but having to change styles through out the day....

2. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'm assuming that you're a high school student. If you are, then it's perfectly normal to be uncomfortable in that very different group of styles. After all you're in school to learn. I hope your teachers are doing their best to present each style to your groups. You'll hear this from many people, and I know it you've probably heard it before, but you need to really listen to each style of music. I mean get as many recordings of each style as you can. Then it's a matter of immitating the styles. If you can find some older players in your area that play those styles, it would be a good idea to try and speak to them as well. I hope this helps some.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

Well, assuming you're a student of some kind it sounds normal. If playing the trumpet was easy, everyone would do it.

Patience and practice will get you where you want...

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi brendag123,
    From all the activities you're in, it sounds like you're in school.
    If you have the mechanical skills then its a mind set thing. Here's how I change (quickly) from on mind set to another.
    Say I need to go from Joy Spring (a jazz piece) to Cello Suite No.2 Sarabande by Bach. Two totally different directions, two entirley different sounds, right?
    When placed in this situation, I ask myself:
    "How would Clifford say it?" or "How would Rafeal Mendez or Balsom say it?"
    I then as best I can, I try to say it like they would. Yes, I'm suggesting to pretend to sound like them. Also, notice I said "say". You have to be able to say something when you perform. You can play all the notes correctly and still suck if you don't use expressivity.
    That I do is borrow some of their expressivity when jumping to different genres.

However, if your mechanical skills are lacking then I'd suggest getting some aebersold play alongs and a SPIT Book. The two will get you up and playing jazz in no time flat pending you can read music at a high school level.
    Lastly, be sure to listen to famous people that play the stuff you have to play.
    This may open a can of worms as some people will say:
    "listening to how a particular piece is played to learn how it goes is simply behaving like a talking parrot".
    Here's my twist on that:
    I've yet to hear someone say "Hey that kid sucks, she sounds just like Clifford Brown"
    Hope this helps

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  5. brendag123

brendag123 New Friend

Nov 10, 2009
    brownsville, texas
    well, to all who have posted, it really does help. and yes i am a high school student, but
    when it comes to mariachi, its outside of school, in other words, paid gigs. :)
    and drum corps is outside of school, even though the staff members work in different high schools through out the valley.
    anyway, thanks to all, ive been listening to wynton, doc, and marichi vargas. :)