Jazz Scale Book- Do any exist?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by fuzzyhaze, Dec 1, 2009.

1. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    Hi,
    Does anyone out there know of a scale book for jazz scales? I do not mean like the Aebersold books where the scale is named and written out in it's basic form, I was hoping that, somewhere, there is the equivalent of an Arban but for jazz scales and chords. I know that players learn these things by ear and then transpose into all the different keys, but it would also seem logical to me that if they were written down as studies or exercises you could then combine daily routines with learning these scales and chords at the same time. Am I asking for too much?
    Best wishes, Nick.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Craig Fraedrich Web Site Contents

This guys site is a wealth of free jazz stuff. I read through the scales once in a while. He is really doing a great service...and at no charge!

3. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Check out Rich Willey's books at Boptism.He's got it all

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Yes, The SPIT Book. It uses the most common 48 chords (scales) and allows the person to learn at their own speed. I use it with every student that needs to learn how to improvise. It can be found "used" on ebay and to my knowledge, can only be purchased on the web.
    As for the book's usefullness, I can usually get a fair student to improvise on simple tunes in one or two settings. SPIT stands for (S)cale, (P)attern, (I)nversion, (T)riad.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  5. fuzzyhaze

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    Thanks guys,
    I'm on the case right now-checked out the website,some great stuff and I'm off to town to see if my local music shop can track down the books you mentioned.
    Best Wishes, Nick.

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

Rich just put out a book on scales studies and it's awesome...check his site...

bigtiny

7. fuzzyhaze

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    Thanks bigtiny,
    Fuzzyhaze