Jazz Seat Placement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Passion, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    So, in a youth jazz orchestra, does the placement matter to trumpets. Im in jazz band at school and we trumpets switch parts alot. I usually end up with 1st part even so.

So in youth jazz orchestra, is it the same or what?

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Each part in a big band (and other ensembles) has a different role.
    It isn't about how good a player is.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    What is the difference between Youth Jazz Band and Youth Jazz Orchestra?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A lead trumpet player needs to be able to lead. The second trumpet player is the chorusmaster. The third and fourth need monster chops to keep up and all 4 need excellent timing, intonation and groove.

Only in high school is it "significant" to rate the chairs. Many professional big bands have/had the 5th trumpet as the scream book. I guess college math is required to figure that out.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I wanted to ask the same question, but thought that this may be some US school terminology that I wasn't aware of...Yeah, what's the difference anyway?

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Around here the 5th book usually is the soloist/melody player, but in the down time doubles the lead down an octave, or plays with the trombone section.

I find it interesting how things change based on location and influences.

7. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    Wait, I dont understand.

I though 3rd and 4th always get the boring stuff, while 1st and 2nd get the fun music.

Also, do Jazz Bands switch out parts alot? Like say you didnt do so great at audtion but good enough to get into the group. Then they put you in 3rd or 4th. Over time can you become a lead trmpet when they see you're better?

In my school jazz band we switch parts. Everyone has a chance to play lead at least once.

Are all jazz groups like that?

8. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    ?? Next time, listen to the tune without those parts and see how "boring" it sounds. There is a reason the arranger wrote those parts. Make music with them. If you don't have competent players on those lower parts (like intonation, following the style, articulations..etc), then it will also sound pretty bad. If players consider those boring, then it will sound like that.

Depending on the situation (and especially for what it sounds like in your case - a High School type group), then yes it can be common. This gives other players the opportunity to play other parts - and is good, from an educational standpoint. From this, if you do a great job, then it is possible to gravitate to a certain part. Still, all parts are important and should be approached as such. Just because a person can play "higher" than another...doesn't mean they are a good lead player. Unfortunately, this ends up being the only criteria for some HS bands - out of necessity (though, perhaps the director should pick other music to highlight a good sound/style, rather than insisting on pieces that have too many high notes?).

Good luck with your group.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  9. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    But this group isn't apart of my highschool. It's kids from many highschools who audition to get in. All 4 of us trumpets can play a high E when they tested our range, and we could all pretty much play lead. They gave us all a chance to play lead.

They had the 4 best all sit down after auditioning the first time. They told me to sit in lead chair, and the others sat in 2nd, 3rd, 4th. They made us play the music. I accidently played the first notes too high. We started again so I played the first notes to low. This usually doesn't happen when I play. I played the rest of the music without a problem. Anyways, one guy judging us moved me down to 3rd music, and switched us all around. We played the music and then we got to go home.

We're all sure we got into the group, but as for parts, we're not.

Ever since I've been anxious as to what music ill get. I really want lead part. I was moved down after messing up on pitch twice I think. But I could be a good lead I think. I play lead alot in my highschool jazz band and I get positive feedback from my director and the other people in the band.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  10. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Okay...I get the picture now. Well, if what you stated earlier is true (ie: we switch parts around), then you may get your shot at proving yourself again on lead. I do hope you understand (as humbling as this experience might have been) "why" you got moved. Lead is just that. You didn't play very solidly on those occasions...so they made the switch. It is not the end of the world. Turn this into an opportunity to refocus your efforts in your personal practice to work towards playing more solidly and accurately. Next time, you will be more ready.

In the meantime, don't be discouraged or dispondent towards your section mates. You still are in the group and have a job to do. This also will not be the only or last group you will ever be in. It's "one" thing. Make the best of it. Showing that you can work in that group...as well as showing that this experience made you work even harder to become a better player will speak volumes to those around you (and build your "own" character). You will also know what's expected of someone playing all those other parts. Maybe even come to realize the importance of having someone as good as you are on them is.