Jazz Style

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmanic, Feb 22, 2016.

1. crowmanic

crowmanic Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2015
    Curiosity may have killed the cat but I'm hoping for a better outcome here. What is most important to you in technique and studies when striving to play, or continue to play, in the "Jazz Style" aside from listening to recordings, and transcribing solos.

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm going to assume that by "Jazz Style" you mean as a soloist.

Say a person was illiterate, but wanted to be an author. Would you suggest he listen to the writings of other authors? I don't think so. I think you'd first suggest he learn to read and write. He first needs to learn the language.

Listening and transcribing music definitely have their place. But any benefit will be limited without knowing the jazz language. This means learning/memorizing the jazz scales, patterns, and articulations. It also means learning/memorizing the more common jazz standards.

Mike

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Best thing is to move with the groove of the band you're in.

Sometimes you need to play "straight" e.g. Tango, Waltz etc, but you need to swing when it counts.

You really cannot have enough of " aside from listening to recordings, and transcribing solos". Also maybe listen to yourself. What you think you're playing from your side of the trumpet, can be completely different to the reality the audience hears.

Listen to the other musicians in the band, that is the best tip. Play with them, and learn when to carry the Melody, and when to sit back and harmonise or work with the rhythm section. Have fun - and try to make sure what leaves the horn is worth listening too - so shed time to learn to play the licks is really important. Try to cover as many keys as you can, so the notes get under the fingers.

4. MusicianOfTheNight

MusicianOfTheNight Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
    I am not a good jazz musician-although I wish I were! When I asked my teacher how to get better in jazz, he said that I should have an internal pulse. He said that everyone has it, it just takes a while to find it. It can also be described as soul. If you have soul, you can play jazz.He told me to listen to as many jazz songs as I can, then try to imitate exactly how they sounded without any sheet music. Btw, that will also train you to play by ear;-)
    Next he told me about toungeing. It depends on the style of jazz, but to play swing/smooth you need to use a legato toungeing. It just will not sound right if you use a regular "Tah or " Tu" syllable. Good luck!

5. B-Flat Cat

B-Flat Cat Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    I think there is something to the idea of "internal pulse." I am married to a conservatory trained professional musician who has spent her career in a symphony orchestra and chamber ensembles. She once told me she had met many talented jazz players who could play classical music in an orchestra, but very few classical players who could do well in a jazz ensemble.

6. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    Listen, listen, and listen some more to the type of music you want to play and emulate.

I ALMOST said that if you have to ask how to play with a jazz style, it'll never happen. You just need to feel it.

But then I though of someone who has never heard jazz.

For me, the best way to do anything in a certain style, you must know what that style is. And for music, it's by listening, in large part.
    Once you master the horn (or whatever instrument you're playing), then playing in a certain style is essentially just emulating what you've heard, and then inserting your own style.

Disclaimer: This is my own opinion. If yours is different than mine, please do not blast my opinion and just be contrary for the sake of saying that your opinion is right and mine's wrong. Sorry. This is my own opinion. Maybe it's yours, maybe it's not.

7. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    Those are the kind of answers I'm for, "legato tonging".

8. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    "Articulations". Can you describe the articulation?

9. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    Another good way to learn jazz - sit in with a band that plays jazz (the type you want to play in the style of) and learn from the players.

Again, it's mostly in listening. If you hear legato tonguing, then legato tongue.

I just don't believe that you can empirically be told how to play jazz (e.g., legato tongue, swing the notes, use vibrato, etc., etc.) without listening to it a LOT.

It's like teaching someone how to ride a bike by explaining finding the center of "inertia" and keeping it centered. You just have to do it to feel how it's played. Or describing color to a blind man.

10. Rickyroughneck

Rickyroughneck Pianissimo User

Apr 22, 2012
    Although your analagies are a bit far fetched, I partially agree with you. Certain items like "legato tonguing" might not be immediately apparent to a listener, so pointing them out may be beneficial. There is a also lot of theory as to what sounds nice in jazz which can be learnt.