Jazz Style

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmanic, Feb 22, 2016.

1. MusicianOfTheNight

MusicianOfTheNight Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
    I said legato toungeing because most of the jazz I play uses that. I agree that jazz cannot be taught in words. It is very different than classical. In classical, you need to play exactly as written with a little bit of expression. I find jazz a bit more complex. There is a lot of room for interpretation. You should learn to listen closely to ALL INSTRUMENTS in various jazz bands. Listen to every different jazz style. Ex, Be-Bob, Swing, Cool, Fusion, Ballad, and blues. Take notice to how each of the instruments articulates. Then try it out for yourself. But remember to keep the articulation with its correct genre of jazz. You don't want to mix them up. Eventually this will become habit, and you will put all of us to shame!!!;-)

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    No one ever posts the question "Classical Style" or "How do I play classical music?".

But we regularly get the question "How do I play jazz music?".

That's okay. But I think we keep asking the "jazz" question, because some of us hope there's a secret to playing jazz. Maybe it's "listening" or finding your "internal pulse". Or maybe it's something else. But if we can just figure out that one all-important secret, we'll know how to play jazz. ;-)

Of course, in reality, there are many things we can do (or should do) to learn to play jazz.

Mike

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I believe, regardless of genre, that as musicians we try to externalize the sounds in our head. Part of that is technique, and part is style. Style involves knowing history and, uhh, listening.

4. crowmanic

crowmanic Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2015
    Well put. I'm seeing where internalizing what you're after is essential. As it applies to Jazz improvisation at what point does it become as internalized as speech?