Jazz Transcription Help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rmccaffr, Apr 15, 2014.

1. rmccaffr

rmccaffr New Friend

Mar 13, 2014
    If anyone is interested, I am transcribing a Chet Baker solo on My Funny Valentine he did with the Gerry Mulligan Quartet. I am struggling with notating his melody since he is so behind the beat and would love some help! If anyone loves chet and wants a transcription to analyze how he approaches melody let me know and I will pass it along for your input!

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    FWIW, if there is a laid back rhythm, it's perfectly acceptable to write "laid back" in brackets over the section/lick and ignore notating a computer-exact rhythm against the tempo .

How are you transcribing? Are you using The Amazing Slow Downer or some similar software in lieu of stopping and starting in tempo?

3. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Nicely said. The transcription is just the "notes part" of the song. It's still up to the performer to turn it into music.

4. DIS

DIS Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Is it the original version of "My Funny Valentine" that Chet Baker and Gerry Mulligan recorded in 1952? I transcribed the entire piece, so if you're interested, we can compare our two independent notations of Chet's part.