Jazz trumpet notation - cross?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cantplaytrumpet, Feb 2, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    IF you had a Committee... ya wouldn't have ta click... just say'in:whistle:

2. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Well, excuse me for giving as correct an answer as possible without being shown the actual sheet music or looking it up (x's are often used for notes in percussion). I'm starting to think that you're playing too large a bore and not getting enough oxygen to your brain.

To be honest, I've never heard of a ghost note. Grace notes, yes, which to me is pretty much exactly what is being explained here. Ghost notes, no.

Edit: Having looked it up on Google, it appears it started as a convention on string instruments. Still, I've never seen 'em before: "A frequent misconception is that grace notes and ghost notes are synonymous. A grace note is by definition decidedly shorter in length than the principal note which it 'graces', but in many examples the grace note receives a greater degree of accentuation (emphasis) than the principal itself, even though it is a much shorter note than the principal. In other words, while a grace note could be ghosted, the ghosting of notes is a function of volume[citation needed] rather than of duration."

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
    Peter McNeill likes this.
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It's been known to happen... but today... I blame it on the gin and tonic I've been sipping on while responding to all these threads today.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, I know...Committees just play themselves, right? :lol:

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    They really kinda do... I just put it up to my face... and it plays... no thought on my part... just a trance as the horn pulls you into the leadpipe and then takes over your body... and then the horn takes over... ghost notes come up on the page... the Committee sees it through your eyes... then plays it... I didn't do that; did I?... the Committee just does it all for you.;-)

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If I believed you for one second, I'd pay the big bucks for one tomorrow. Then I'd go on all the late night TV shows with my combo, maybe collect a Grammy or two, and retire to a tropical island...ROFL (Kingtrumpet let me borrow one of his little kickers)

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh... Dale... I can do tropical medicine... Think of me once you get to that island...

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    So there you go...

I always thought the "X" was to blow a Kiss ;-)

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The current song I play on a regular basis with an x in it is Mingus' "Girl of My Dream" in our quintet... Third note in on the first bar that repeats several times. Jack is the musician standing next to me. The thought of blowing him a kiss, every time we play through this, would lead to more ghost notes than Mr. Mingus had intended. Yuch!:noway: