Jazz Workshop

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornyandy, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Wish me luck guys as part of my new intro to Jazz I've tentatively signed up for a Jazz Workshop in Novemebr (No good for my friends across the pond or down under I know but I'm excited) I am a novice as far as Jazz is concerned.:play:

2. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Sorry should have added suggested listening for the novice pretty please.........

3. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Well, you have to start once, I think it will greatly help, you could also try to start improvising already using blues scales, if you know about them. They basicly are (in C, concert Bb): C Eb F F# G Bb. Any other key will just be transcribing. You could also youtube for backing tracks or how to improvise movies.

Good luck, and I hope you will enjoy the wonders of the Jazz. =)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You must mean the notes of the C blues scale. Not "blues/jazz keys"
    To be proficient at improvising, you must have a strong handle of all keys and modes, and also listen to as much as you can from the masters.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Cornyandy, what is it that you don't know to listen to? I other words, what are you already listening to - little to nothing, only dixieland, etc? What would you like help on?

6. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Yes, I'm sorry, I'm no native English speaker, and couldn't figure out the words at that moment. I agree, you should learn hoe to play in all the keys, it would be a shame if you're in a jam session and they start to play in some key you don't know yet. It's also great for your musicality and understanding of music to learn all the keys, and try not to use any paper to remember it or to figure it out, do it all by head, that will help as well.

I changed the mistake btw.

7. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Groeten! As long as you're changing things, LOL, might as well change "transcribing" to "transposing". Transcribing is what you would do if you listened to some music and wrote down on music paper what you were hearing, and transposing is taking some music (written or played in real time) and moving it into another key.

I'm assuming from your post that you don't mind my saying this. And listen, I lived and worked in Germany for almost twenty years, have a German wife and German kids and my vocabulary and, especially grammar, sucks!!! So you're not alone. Your English is fine. :thumbsup:

8. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Well, that is one uncomfortable mistake :lol: No ofcourse, if I say something wrong, correct me, otherwise the OP gets wrong info. Thank you for doing it :).
    Do you still live in Germany? I like going out there (it aint so far from Holland)

9. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    What I listen jazzwise in the main are people like Beny Goodman, Stan Getz, Miles Davis, Satch (but they're mainly voval recordings) Basically I'm finding Brass Banding a little limiting so I bought a Twelve CD (Masters of Jazz) pack for a fiver and started listening and enjoying. And I have a new teacher who is trying to push me back to trumpet (which I am prefering) both classical and Jazz. I don't know how to describe it but I love cool piano jazz as well.

Don't anyone worry about little mistakes, I know enough about music to have understood GijsVis, nothjing got lost in translation, or was that transcription may be even tansposition, is wasn't transubstatiation was it? :grouphug:

10. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    @GijsVis - no, I am no longer in Germany. I moved back to the US a few years ago to look in on my aging mother and sister. Otherwise I would never have left central Europe, which I miss very much. I have a new (first) grandson which I got to see for the first time today and fortunately or unfortunately, it had to be over the internet, not holding him in my arms.
    By the way, love Amsterdam and Maastricht.

@Cornyandy - here's the easiest way to listen to some great jazz and to know who you're listening to, also. Sometimes when one is listening to the radio or internet sites you have no idea who you're listening to. Go to AccuJazz.com - The future of jazz radio and immediately you'll see what I mean.

And when it plays a recording, look on your browser tab that has the title of the category you chose to listen to ("trumpet jazz", "bebop" whatever), and it'll show the album that you are listening to. Then you can google the album and find out who the players are on the album. I do it all the time if I don't recognise someone. This should be a goldmine for you.

BTW, what workshop are you going to? Is there a web site?