jazzophone / sax shaped trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Dutch Guy, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Ok, this one's ripe for humor. What's the point of this abomination? Is it just a novelty horn? Does it have have special desirable sound? Or is it really just a way for trumpet players to try to be cool like jazz sax players? ;)

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

To be cool :cool:

3. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Sacrilege.......another feeble attempt by sax players to try and get us to stoop to their level :evil:ROFL

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Cool?

Sure, in the same way that a Porsche that looked like a Saab would be cool.

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    The jazzophone has some interesting ergonomic implications, not to mention possible improvements in actually hearing what comes out the other side of the bell. Might be hard to stick a mute in it though.

6. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    It's not the look of the horn that makes the cool, it's the player. Trumpeters have to stand up straight, arms out, blasting away. Sax players (the cool ones at least) slouch in their chairs or kinda lean back, arms tucked in, and just wiggle their fingers. Chicks just happen to dig that...it's a proven fact. ;-)

7. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Different versions of the sax-shaped trumpets command different prices. The ones with two bells (one muted) bring the most, and are harder to find. On the lower end, I have a DEG Classic (single bell, lacquered brass) that's actually a pretty decent-playing horn. Valves are good, intonation OK, and feedback that has to be experienced to be believed. Even that one, though, was at the upper end of the three-digit price range when I bought it. If anyone's really serious about acquiring one like that, in original case, PM me. It's cool and all that, but I'm out of room for cool horns.

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Its fairly obvious that a flugophone would be cooler though. BTW what kind of stand do you put that on?

9. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Instead of putting a mute in it, put a mute over it.....like a reinforced box.......with chains.....and a big lock....in a really big warehouse......in the desert......on another planet...... :roll: