Jazzradio.com

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Big Daddy, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey all Tmer's,
    For those who don't know about jazzradio.com, I wanted to let you know about it. It is a great source of learning about Jazz artists you may of never heard of. Both new and old. And it's free. What I find cool about it is you can choose a catagory of Jazz or an instrument channel from 26 different catagories. I pick trumpet jazz and get to hear players I really like and never heard before and then do research and then possibly buy their albums.

I've been turned onto players like Paolo Fresu, Fabrizio Bosso, Sean Jones, Thad Jones and Pete Minger just to name a few. I also read Downbeat, Jazztimes, Jazzit, Jazzwise and any other magazine I can find to be able to explore trumpet players and bought albums of Tomasz Stanko, Eric Vloeimans, Liam Sillery, Etienne Charles, Henry Armburg Jennings & Ralph Alessi along with others.

When I'm in the car I listen to XM/Sirius radio's, Real Jazz station channel 67.

With all the periodicals out there for almost every instrument but trumpet, I use these methods to keep informed and learning about people who play trumpet/flugelhorn/cornet.

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Thanks for the info Robert.

I don't know if this is reduntant or "new" info, but accujazz.com has a similar format. Another one I listen to frequently is jazzradio.net/from Berlin. Like many German stations, they play music in the same vein as other stations, but with a decidedly modern, if not eclectic, vein.

3. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I've been enjoying jazz88 out of San Diego. I enjoy their commentary and special programing such as Rud Cutter Swing on Sunday afternoons. I listen over the Internet on my SONOS sound system.

4. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I had no idea about that website! Gracias.

5. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    You are most welcome Haste2!

6. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks for posting this - been listening to their "trumpet jazz" channel for a couple days now. I had no idea it existed!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I've mentioned this in a past post, but also check out www.pandora.com. This station allows you to customize the charts played by voting periodically with a thumb's up or tumb's down choice to form your own radio station based on your voting interests.

8. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I love Pandora, and subscribe to their "Plus" service. Lately, though, I've been listening to mog.com more - very similar, except that in addition to suggestions, it allows you to listen to any specific tune you want, or even an entire album - no limit on skips, access to exactly the song you want - it's a lot more flexible than Pandora.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow, that is cool to know. I will give this a try. The only personal bias I have is when I listen to an entire album, I will hear an hour or so of a single artist. The cool thing that I really appreciate about Pandora, is they put into the mix atists I would have never listened to or appreciated if I had not heard them on Pandora. Then I go out and buy CD's I never would have had in my collection. This is of course what Pandora wants of their listeners, and I am the perfect sucker for this marketing approach.

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA