Jean Baptiste

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetsAreFun, Sep 4, 2005.

1. TrumpetsAreFun

TrumpetsAreFun Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    California
    Does this company make good mouthpieces? Whats a good mouthpiece?

2. Stradivarius

Stradivarius New Friend

Aug 24, 2005
    California, US
    are you playing jazz, or orchestra, or marching band type stuff?

i would reccommend the boring old Bach 3c, Gold Plated

it is big so you can play rich low notes, and sizzling high notes

if you get it gold plated then it feels softer on your lips

there are people, like me, who have to use a gold mouthpiece, and then there are also people who hate them and think the feel horrible

mouthpieces are really all personal preference, go try out a few at a music store, but like i said, you will probably be best off with a simple Bach 3c

3. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don;t know about their mouthpieces, but Jean Baptiste trumpets are cheap Chinese horns that are sold at stores like Walmart. Based on that, I wouldn't buy the mouthpiece.

4. Stradivarius

Stradivarius New Friend

Aug 24, 2005
    California, US
    i saw their mouthpieces on the internet for about 15$, they are for begginers... if you are in 5th grade then you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, otherwise look at my first post

5. bj

bj New Friend

Oct 31, 2003
    Hi Kevin

Not all of them mate. I was over in the US in July and was surprised to find in a Sam Ash store a bunch of instruments labelled "Jean Baptiste". The upper range ones were in fact B&S Challengers. The most expensive flugel and trumpet were obviously Challengers. The chap behind the counter thought they were "student horn" - probably made in China".
    I looked closely at them, recognised all the components (valve block, braces etc) as being B&S (I've got a flugel, picc and 4 valve Eb of theirs).
    I thought the sales chap was talking rubbish and the "made in Germany" on the bell sealed it for me.
    I took the valves out to have a closer look and the valves with mobile tuning slides (like the 3rd valve trigger on the flugel) had vented valves.
    Definitely a great buy for the money. The lower end ones I wouldn't touch with a barge pole though.

all the best

Brian Jones

6. TrumpetsAreFun

TrumpetsAreFun Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    California
    marching band