Jean Pennequin- Anyone ever heard of him?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by samdaman, Dec 20, 2009.

1. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Hello All!
    As I'm looking though music to do on a recital next semester, I'm trying to get some info together on pieces to put in the program. Any info on Jean Pennequin's Morceau de Concert seems to be alluding me. I know that he was born sometime in the 1800's and died in 1917 (according to the dates in the score), but other then that, that is it. Any information about this composer or this piece would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks.

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    In the Search Engine you may ask "Pennequin" : you'll get an old thread with a short answer by Rowuk. I didn't find anything about Jean Pennequin in my own documentation. I'll go to the Town Library of Bordeaux and seek in ancient books about music ; but not sure to find !

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Sorry : found nothing about him, nowhere !

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Is it the Kalmus edition you're playing from? Just curious, as I have that piece, too, and have always wondered about the composer.

5. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Just did a bit of a search and it turns out that he wrote a complete method for Violin as well as an elementary method for violin.

Andre Gedalge wrote a sonata for violin around 1900 and dedicated it to Pennequin. Can't find much else out about him. Shame, because if the Morceau de Concert is any indication, he was a fine composer.

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Seen that thru Google : it's clear J.G. Pennequin was a violin teacher in Paris, of very good fame in the early XXth century. Dead in 1917 : maybe shot down during World War II as so many ?

7. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Another mystery : did he die in 1917 or 1914 ???

8. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    And this is why I asked the question! haha

Yes I'm playing out of the Kalmus Wind Series edition published by Belwin Mills (it has a teal cover). I also enjoy the Morceau de Concert and wish there was more known about him.

Dupac: As far as his year of death, I have seen both years as well. Not totally sure which one is correct.

Thanks for everyone's input and interest in him!! It's interesting to find out that there isn't a whole lot written about him.

9. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    There are Alphonse Leduc editions of his music, so perhaps you could try contacting them directly through their web-site and seeing if they can provide any more information.