Jekyll and Hyde Musical

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by horner, Feb 12, 2009.

1. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    Hi all,

I got an email from someone at university asking if people are interested in being in the orchestra for the Jekyll and Hyde musical that they are putting on in about a months time. I have no idea what the music is like but i wondered if anyone here did and if it is worth playing? I have never played in a musical before so would it be worth a go just for the experience?

Cheers.

:play:

2. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    I played it on bass guitar for a uni production. The musical is a lot of fun (both to watch and play) and if I remember right the trumpet gets some good parts. The guy we had on trumpet was doing elephant effects at one point. Can't remember why.

I'd say go for it. I'd never played in a musical before and it was a really good learning experience.

3. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    One other thing - expect to spend a decent amount of time in 'trickier' keys - I was in E a lot on the bass, so you'll be in F# if you play on a Bb, which being in England I presume you will.

4. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    Cool, thanks for the response.

Ive sent an email to the person organising it, just have to wait and see if i get the job.

5. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    I saw the show on Broadway and I don't remember there being any trumpets in the pit at all.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If you have the time then I say go for it. When I was in college I rarely refused a gig if I was available. I played lead, 2nd, and even 3rd trumpet parts just to get playing time/experience and to network with other musicians. I got several paying gigs as a result of playing in non-paying musicals.

7. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    There was one trumpet and one 'bone on the book we played. Maybe there are different arrangements? :dontknow: The songs are all definitely the same.

8. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    Ive got an email back and he says that he wants me to be in as he has heard good things about me from the University Director of Music so i guess there is a Trumpet part written out somewhere.

Are there any recordings of the pieces anywhere? Free clips would be good, lol.

9. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Nice one!

This Is The Moment

This is the song when Jekyll drinks the formula. Can't remember the name of others - a Google search will probably bring it up.

10. concordtrumpet

concordtrumpet New Friend

Sep 23, 2008
    I played this while I was a junior in high school. It was a ton of fun! I remember that the highest note for me in our arrangement was a C# above the staff. Play your long tones (those power ballads are killers) and watch your key signatures! Whenever I'm playing a musical I like to put my book into non-glare sheet protectors in a binder (if it's photo-copied) and mark the snot out of it. Have fun!