Jens and ITG @ Banff 2008

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetjens, Mar 19, 2008.

1. trumpetjens

trumpetjens Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2005
    Just wanted to let you all know that the website for ITG 2008 is constantly being updated and there will be further details within the next ten days.

MUSIC & SOUND AT THE BANFF CENTRE

This is going to be an amazingly unprecedented line-up of players and I have burned through my extensive speed dial calling in all kinds of favors.

The theme of the conference is what I'm calling 'Tapas-like' concerts...many small meals that make you feel entirely satiated by the end. I am intentionally blurring the lines between the traditional "classical-at-7-jazz-at-9" concept. Our evening galas will be from 7-10:30 with an entire array of stars performing. During the day, almost all events will involve a variety of artists and the evening club shows will be outrageous (I can't wait for Mark Gould and Pink Baby Monster!!!).

Since I believe fervently that it is only about music and not about categorizing, this conference is intended to allow us all to celebrate our instrument in it's many clothes. Although I mention Mark by name (personal bias since he is my mentor), I simply cannot tell you how excited I am about the wide array of acts. For any of you unfamiliar with any names currently posted on the website, I would encourage asking questions in this forum and engaging in spirited discussion about who they are.

Further, do not be deterred by the fact that the conference is in Banff, Canada. Calgary airport is a major international hub and easy to get to. Aside from the music, the scenery is breathtaking and worth the trip from that perspective alone. Every photo at this website (first one I googled) is within 5 minutes of the Banff Centre (except Lake Louise which is a 45 minute trip to a piece of heaven).

Banff National Park Photos, Stock Photos of Banff National Park, Canada, Canadian Rockies

There are also numerous options to keep things within a reasonable budget. Feel free to email my assistant co-ordinator Geraldine at:

[email protected]

Aside from the fact that I am hosting this conference and am more than happy to advertise it, I grew up in Alberta where this is all being held. I cannot begin to tell you how proud I am to show all of this off to the world and mean it sincerely when I tell you that this conference will be a once in a life time experience musically and scenically and well worth taking advantage of.

Hope many of you can make it!

Jens Lindemann
    Jens Lindemann's Web Quarters

2. mrtrpt

mrtrpt New Friend

Sep 23, 2007
    Jens,

I know that last year CD's were made available after the conference of all the major clinics and concerts. Is that going to be available this year?

What is the possibiliy of getting DVD's made too? Even if only certain events were filmed.

That would be a great thing to have for those who can't make it.

MR

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  3. trumpetjens

Mar 14, 2005
    CD's and/or DVD's will be unlikely although they will be archived and can be heard at the Banff Centre in their library.

Jens Lindemann

4. trumpetjens

Mar 14, 2005
    Getting ready for ITG...the updated schedule will be completed this week and put online as we are just about to print the conference program. The line-up of players is absolutely awesome and the amount of creativity that is going into many of these acts is amazing. Having Hakan Hardenberger and Dave Douglas on the same evening and Guido Basso and Mnozil Brass together simply blows my mind.

Evening events with Sergei Nakariakov, Ole Edvard Antonsen who is coming with his band from Norway, Sean Jones (sick!) and Wycliffe Gordon on trombone (he can play higher and with better technique than most trumpet players...he also played the opening of West End Blues for me in Chicago ON MY TRUMPET...I would kick his $#@ but if you have ever met Wycliffe you would know that this would be a foolhardy venture on my part). An unprecedented line-up of almost all of Canada's principal orchestral trumpet players on stage at the same time with a grand finale including Allen Vizzutti who is writing a special piece for the event. Boston Brass, the US Army quintet, Synergy Brass, True North Brass...a quintet extravaganza of the best groups in the world on a night when we are honoring Canadian Brass superstar Fred Mills...an actual Canadian!!!

My favorite star (among the impossible many to choose from), a tribute night to my good friend and personal hero, Doc Severinsen who will also play on the big band night in a 'special' grand finale which will be an unbelievable happening for those that are there...gotta come if you want to know what I'm talking about.

A Bill Chase tribute event with four ridiculous players who are all Bill Chase devotees. Most importantly, we are able to bring in GG Shinn from New Orleans, Bill Chase's former lead singer...it will be as much an honor to him as it is to Chase himself. Many thanks to Brian Scriver of GR mouthpieces for making charts available.

A Maynard Ferguson tribute with smoking soloists Walter White, Andre Tofanelli, Chris Jaudes and hosted by star writer and arranger, Jay Chattaway who wrote many charts for Maynard.

Chris Martin who is so committed to coming that he is flying in after a Chicago Symphony Sunday matinee and will be back for a 10 am downbeat 30 hours later.

On the small group side Tiger Okoshi, Ingrid Jensen, Chase Sanborn, Brian O'Kane, Dean McNeill, and more...

One of the most highly anticipated small shows will be Mark Gould with his band, Pink Baby Monster. I have seen this show in Los Angeles and it is ridiculous...absolutely defies any description but watching Mark do everything from rap to jazz to rock to country in a show subtitled 'Desert Jews in Las Vegas' is as hilarious as it is brilliant.

Niklas Eklund (greatest baroque trumpeter in the world!!!), Rex Richardson (defies category but sick comes to mind...again!)

Also, the resurrection of Juno award winning band Metalwood with the absolutely stupidly talented Brad Turner on trumpet and keyboards (he plays drums too...I hate him but tbought I should invite him or Wycliffe would kick my $*%)

The inimitable pedagogical talents of David Hickman who is bringing his entire ASU trumpet studio...Dave was (and is) my piccolo mentor.

Upcoming talents to watch for at ITG:

Adam Rapa...this guy is sick!!!
    Italian Wonderbrass...all under the age of 23 and by far the most amazing young quintet I have ever heard in the world!!!

I am going to forget people because the list is simply too long...I feel like I'm getting married...oh wait, that's right, my tenth wedding anniversary is on the final night of ITG...June 5...Guido Basso will play as he did exactly ten years ago...NO, we will not dance.

Jens Lindemann

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I talked to Eric Miyashiro on May 4th and he said he was not invited.

He must not be on your speed dial.

6. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Wow...Great Line up. I wish i could attend this year.

7. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    My bags are packed and I'm ready to go.

I think I'll check on the fuel surcharge today.

No fuel surcharge. That is the advantage of booking in January.

Last edited: May 10, 2008