Jens Lindeman "Anchor Tonguing"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Paul Tomashefsky, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Paul Tomashefsky

Paul Tomashefsky New Friend

Apr 24, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    I just had the extreme pleasure of meeting and hearing Jens Lindeman & Joe Foley during a Friday Master Class / Concert performance! Incredible. . . They performed the Carmen Suite Together and Jens did and awesome performance of Allen Vizzutti's "Rising Sun"

During the masterclass Jens talked about "anchor Tonguing" which in my own experience I have never really used. I am coming from the tongue striking behind the top teeth (school of thought / playing) Ta Ka or Da ga (double tonguing). He explained it as placing the tip of the tongue behind the bottom front teeth. and having the front arch of the tongue toch the roof of the mouth? Am I getting this correct?

Knowing full well, there is NO one size fits all when it comes to Trumpet technique, could someone expand on this for me and explain how one would go about experimenting with this technique. Jens said it kept his Toungue level at a point whereby he always kept the maximum amount of comression and never had to worry about his air or sound dropping out especially when making octave jumps etc. . . .

Is there a method book that could help me figure this out a little bit clearer?

any feedback welcomed___ Thank you in advance

Paul T.

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think I anchor toungue above High G but quite honestly have never really thought about it.

I wish I could have made it down Friday but I had three home lessons and 4 online sessions. Busy busy busy!

Best,

T

3. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Thanks for the post Tom. I'm sure one of our members will chime in with some advice.

4. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2008
    Tallahassee/Bradenton, Fl
    Herbert L. Clarke also used a technique that was similar to anchor tongue. In which he kept the tip of his tongue against the bottom teeth, and would strike the roof of the mouth with the arch of his tongue. Personally, I use the tip of my tongue to strike the roof of the mouth when I'am tonguing. I guess it just goes down to personal preference, and which technique works best for you. Although I have not tried "anchor tonguing", I have been interested in it for a while.

-Tom.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would not mess with your tonguing without professional supervision. What we all have is a very delicate balance between air, chops, tongue and teeth. Changing any one factor can make EVERYTHING crumble. Ask anyone that has had their teeth capped or got dentures...............

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i anchor tongue but tell kids it is a do what i say not what i do. it is not a thing you try to do you do it naturally. i find tonguing is one of those centipedal things...

7. ldwoods

ldwoods Piano User

Jan 20, 2006
    I am alternating my practice between this and tonguing on the lips. It seems to have some benefit, as the lips pucker more as a reaction to the tongue position/movement.

"K" Tongue Modified

8. 5_Valve_Trumpet

5_Valve_Trumpet New Friend

Aug 2, 2013
    Arizona

What is the difference between "anchor tonguing" and TCE?

9. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I made the switch to KTM with the help of a direct student of Claude Gordon. It's came very naturally do me and has not only improved my tong using, but also my range and tone quality. That being said, I agree with Rowuk, don't try it on your own as I believe it could really screw you up.

In my opinion, the term 'anchor' shouldn't be used. The tip of the tongue does not stay in one place. Depending on the arch height and pitch of the note you're playing, the tip of the tongue slides up and down the back of the bottom teeth.

Mark

10. 5_Valve_Trumpet

5_Valve_Trumpet New Friend

Aug 2, 2013
    Arizona
    Great point. Hickman uses the term "dorsal tonguing," but that just makes me think of a dolphin's fin. I like the term KTM.

Here is a similar discussion from Trumpet Herald: K Tongue Modified and SuperChops