Jesus Christ Superstar

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by krmanning, Sep 6, 2012.

1. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have been asked to fill in a few shows for the local production of JCS in late September and early October. Does anyone know how difficult a book this is or have any advise? I have previously played in the pit at this theater for West Side Story, The Full Monty, and Les Miserables. (also White Christmas, but I got canned from that show when I couldn't play worth crap because of the worst flu I've ever had). It looks like I will also be covering at least some of the F horn parts on flugel.

Thanks for any help

Doctor by day...trumpet player wannabe by night (and weekends)

Harrelson Bravura B-flat
    Selmer Radial B-flat
    Conn Vintage One B-flat
    Harrelson Bravura C
    Getzen 800 Cornet
    Kanstul 920 picc
    Hub van Laar Oiram ack flugel
    Jupiter 845RL flugel
    Amati 314 pocket trumpet

2. smokin valves

smokin valves Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2011
    It's not too bad, no one of the hardest ones. Just make sure you've got plenty of stamina because somepeople find that it's a real smack in the chops.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I played a touring production of it about 40 years ago. I don't remember it being especially difficult, but I don't remember much from back then...:whistle:

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Another lost '70's guy, huh, Dale?I lost part of the late '60's,too:roll::lol::oops:

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I did a "Best Of JCS" show when I was in school - I thought I played it okay, and given my skill/experience level back then it couldn't have been too hard.

--bumblebee

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    In my case, it's mainly because it was 40 years ago. :D And, I had a fling with the chick who was playing Mary, which is best forgotten. I do remember protestors showing up in various cities we played, though. Strange times, for sure...

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I remember seeing it on Broadway when it first opened up. I believe Helen Reddy sang in the performance I saw. I don't remember if she played Mary for the show but she did sing her hit. I was amazed how the pit orchestra rocked. Lots of polyrythms in that score. Sounds like a fun gig, Can't imagine a part being that tough on a flugel for it.