Jet Tone Al Hirt D -strange vibration

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Jun 4, 2011.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    This MPC is great -it is so comfortable -and I can play really with ease. Ok my range shortened a bit - but my endurance improved. And it is all fine.

What worries me is that strange vibration occurs inside the MPC -affecting the tone?

Now, I do not know what it could be. I am fearing it myz be double buzz - something that never ever occured to me -and I do not even know how double buzz fels -thats why I am scared that this could be double buzz

That strange vibration however does not sound ugly -it just sounds strange.

But it worries me ony because I think it might be double buzz.

On the other hand -maybe it is something perfectly normal for jet tone al hirt d mpc -and I have nothing to worry about.

Thats why I am asking you to tell me what it could be

thank you

2. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    I have the same mouthpiece in question- unfortunately, I don't care for it, but if it gives you such a strange problem (which it does not for me)- quit using it!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am confused. How can a mouth piece that shortens your range, and affects your tone quality be great? All this, just for the sake of endurance? Is that trade off really worth it? I would recommend looking for another mouthpiece that gives you a grand slam.
    Look at other brands with similar rim size, but different levels of shallow bevel, but don't settle.

I tried the Al Hirt Jettone, as the chart sizing’s state it was the same as my Jettone Studio B. This was far from the truth, as my Studio B does hit a grand slam for me while the Al Hirt barely got me to first base.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    are you leaking air around the mouthpiece?

5. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009

well it shortened my range in high regisrte but I can still play high C comfortably -so it is no big deal

but it improved my lower register that is now full and with more power

also it affects tone -but not in a bad way -only in a strange way

maybe it doesnt even affect the tone -only my sensation of the tone -because what I feel is strange vibration

but band director didnt sayanything about the tone -so I guess it is ok

6. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    I know what you mean -the answer is no

Sometimes I leak but on purpose -only to practice playing without pressure

7. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    why dont you like it. It feels good -it feels soft on lips -almost as if it was made of some soft rubber -so endurance improves greatly

and its all because of that unusuall rim

it is also huge and gives you big and powerfull tone

articulation is easier too

8. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    If you now have better endurance why not just go back to your old mouthpiece. It doesn't seem that you have full control with your trumpet playing if you cant get the desired tone you want.

Ask yourself was endurance really that big of a problem with my old mouthpiece. Is control of tone important? It the high register needed in the music I play?

If it ain't broke don't fix it. It doesn't sound like you really needed to switch mouthpieces you just need some more time on the horn. Also is your band director a trumpet player?

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I use to have one of those mouthpieces when I was a kid in high school. The edge of the rim is pretty round if I remember right... but it's also a shallow cup ... I wonder if you are getting the vibraton because of that rounded lip. It also sounds like the diameter of the rim is bigger hence the increased lower end and decreased upper range..
    It's been awhile sice I played on it so I may be wrong here...

10. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I tried the Al Hirt, and the weird rim on it was a big problem- not a fan. I also found a decrease in range, but I knew it was the rim, b/c mouthpiecs of similar diameter and cup size didn't decrease my range like the Al Hirt did.