Jet Tone Al Hirt D -strange vibration

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Jun 4, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree with the two posts just above this one. I tried the Al Hirt Jettone and it is a difficult playing mouthpiece. It is made by a different Jettone company than the one back in the 70's. I tried this newer version Jettone out about a year ago, when I thought I lost my 70's version Studio B that plays so comfortably and like a dream.

Yes, the older version is shallow as well, but perhaps its the rim, the thing has a super range ability from top to bottom. You can tell the difference in old versus new as the older version has "Jettone" written in italic.

2. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    I do not think it is rim that is unusuall -but the whole mpc is unusuall. That rim is actually double rim. If you look at that rim colsely you will notice that it is consisted of who rims -outer and inner. If you set your lips to outer rim the whole mpc becomes bigger and deeper, If you set your lips on inner rim the whole mpc becomes shallow. It actually is Al Hirt D -and D stands for deep -because infact it is deep with a wery wide but narrow rim. Also you can look at it as a shallow mpc with big rim -but it isnt really -it only becames shallow if you press your lips too much into it

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And the "Al Hirt" stands for "Owe hurt" which is what is happening to your embouchure being confused by all the depth variances of this mouthpiece.

coolerdave likes this.
  4. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    your sir are blatant and arrogant

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I had one given to me. I gave it away. Very hard for me to play. The guy I gave it to loves it but he sounds terrible on it. I do not know why he continues to use it!

6. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    My old JetTone as well decreased my range. It is VERY comfy, but I don't want to sacrifice comfort for better tone, range, and flexibility, which is why I use the mouthpieces I use.

7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I get that secondary " buzz " sometimes on my Schilke 13a4a. I attribute to shallow cup depth. i just wait until the end of the phrase and quickly readjust my lip position. I don't know if the listening audience can tell though. I feel it happening and feel like it is weakening the tone. I can adjust out of it though. I've played the 13a4a for 35 years though. It ain't a new mouthpiece to me.

8. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    I'm afraid you're wrong. D stands for the flattest rim that JetTone makes, with A being the roundest, and B and C being semi rounded and semi flat respectively. Please proofread your posts just a little bit, before your posts, to make them just a little more legible.

9. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    no that is wrong. That is what used to be with vintage jet tones (the ones in italics) modern al hirt jet tones are S (shallow) M (medium) D (deep)

10. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    Also that unusuall vibration is gone. I guess I just neede some time to adapt. Yesterday I played 6 hours and it never ocured. Besides my tone is fuller and richer, although I lost top 5 semitones above high D. But my high C for example is much stronger with this Jet tone mpc. So I didnt really lost that much. Also I gained a lot below the staff

It is different mpc -for different things -and I like it

And BTW thank you all for your help and concern. Sometimes I go a bit rough on you people -but that is just the way I comunicate. I do not mean to be rude -it just happens. I sincerely thank you -although it may not seem so

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011