Jet Tone and High notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Sep 11, 2007.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I currently can play a d above high c sporatically. How much will playing a jet tone increase my range or will it? I'm assuming that if you can't play it on a "regular" mp then you can't play it on a jet tone right???

Trax

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Plugging in a Jet-Tone or any mouthpiece designed for the upper register is sort of like putting jet fuel into a car. Something's going to be different, but it may not be good! The artists who benefit the most from Jet-Tones (or other upper register mouthpieces) have put in many hours of traditional practice--long tones, lip slurs and the like.

We should only invest in a new mouthpiece when we've advanced in our playing and the old one is holding us back, not because of any promises by the manufacturer or endorsements by players.

That being said, Jet-Tones are excellent mouthpieces when used by the right player. Are you one of those players? Probably not yet, but keep practicing and maybe you'll get so good you'll play great on any mouthpiece. Have fun!

3. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    There are no magic mouthpieces

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are real "trash" mouthpieces out there though! A student of mine had a no-name 7C that definitely held him back, it cut an octave OFF of my range!

I believe that the choice of mouthpiece is for the "tone" and for comfort - not for range. If I play lead, I want more of a cutting sizzling sound - certain (shallower) mouthpieces help me get that. When I play symphonic music, I want a darker, more lush tone. Other sizes (deeper) help there.

If I try to get that "sizzling" sound with my symphony mouthpiece, I can, but it is MUCH more work and VERY loud!. I can't get that symphonic sound with my lead mouthpiece.

My range stays about the same on every mouthpiece. My endurance in the upper register is better with the lead mouthpiece.