Jimmy Owens in Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by wiseone2, Apr 3, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Jimmy Owens Plus will be performing at Sista's Place in Brooklyn on April 6,2005 7:30PM until 9:00 only one set.
    The club is located at 456 Nostrand Avenue-Between Nostrand and Bedford on Jefferson, Brooklyn, New York.

I will be there, I hope some of the NYC guys can make it.

Wilmer

2. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Hi Wilmer:

How was the show? I had the pleasure of seeing him at "Trumpets" in Montclair, Nj about 6 years ago. What a big, beautiful tone!

3. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Jimmy played a 2 hour set. It cover the entire spectrum of the Music. Trumpet, Bass and Guitar, that was the instrumentation of Jimmy Owens +. His choice of music seemed perfect for the occasion. He played an Ellington medley on flugel. A Dizzy tribute on trumpet. It was a wonderful display of musicianship at the highest level.
    Because of the instrumentation, the total approach was one of a chamber ensemble. The interplay between the players had an almost MJQ awareness. You missed a marvelous set.

Jimmy is recording an album with Gerald Wilson this week, I can't wait to hear it.
    Wilmer

4. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Is that a big band album?

5. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Yes, it is. Jimmy's chops are in great shape.A TWO hour set.....with no back-up :roll: Wow.
    Wilmer

6. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Jimmy Owens has always been a favorite of mine, as is the great Gerald Wilson. I'll be looking for this when it comes out.

Thanks Wilmer.