Jo ral copper bubble mute

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by i_surf_the_turf, Mar 22, 2011.

1. i_surf_the_turf

i_surf_the_turf New Friend

Mar 22, 2011
    :grouphug:

Hey fellow trumpeters! This is my first post here so I salute you all!

And now my problem. I have a Jo ral copper bubble mute for my trumpet and the small I inside pipe has no resistance and just falls off.

How can I fix that? Is it easy?

Thanks in advance!

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    It's actually unlikely you'll ever use the stem, so this isn't a really big problem. Some of the guys I play with don't even have their stem any more. Anyway, you can put thick slide grease on the stem and that will hold it in. You can also slightly bend end of the tube inside the mute--just a tiny bit will do it. A third possibility is to slightly egg shape the stem to hold it in place.

3. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I didn't know anyone actually used it with the stem in. I love the sound of my Jo-Ral bubble without the stem.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I get a nice "rattling wah-wah" sound with mine using my hand, but I too mainly use it without the stem.

--bumblebee

5. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Don't quote me on this, but I've heard that putting some scotch tape around the stem will help it stay in the mute...I don't ever use my stem (and it doesn't fall out)...but I've heard that doing that can help.

Good luck,
    Kujo

6. flugeler

flugeler New Friend

Aug 27, 2010
    SoCal
    Don't toss that stem - you never know when you'll get a request for "Sugar Blues" - I suppose you could use your solotone in a pinch.

I must be older than I thought...

7. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Come on TMers, there are so many different tones and effect you can get with that little stem in, tight or extended and with you hand over the end. I use mine just about the same amount with the stem in and out. Slide grease works for me.

8. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Just go into the mute from "the back" and give the "hole" a small dent.
    That will prevent the stem from falling out.

@ flugeler: the solo tone mute works great for "Sugar Blues"....

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Don't throw it out. Soon as you do, you'll need/want it. As has been suggested, tape is the best idea. Any type of grease will be messy at best. Altering the shape of the mute will also alter the sound.

10. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I don't use the stem in my Jo-ral bubble, but it is very tight. No grease or tape needed. You haven't bent it have you?